Calypso Red

All things K & Sportster

Calypso Red

Postby xlh59 » Fri Nov 10, 2017 3:56 pm

I hope I do not ask to many questions, but there is no community available in germany to ask these questions ... and I went a long way until these things started to matter to me.
Just as an extended introduction, I think I post a picture here ... over the last five years, I work step by step on my 59XLH (which I own since 1992, bought in Chicago as a "dirt track modified bike") to bring it back to a "near original" condition. A went quite far and some things will stay "modified" like the XLCH front fork as I really dont like the 59 XLH head light (sorry) or the -61 pipes. This winter I will change back to the original tank, oil tank and coil/tool box, front fork and correct 18" steel wheels. Thats why I need the original tabs on the frame.

P1110174.jpg
P1110174.jpg (286.34 KiB) Viewed 4756 times

As I need to re-paint the gas tank and front fender, I wanted to use the original 59 color scheme. I dont like the "birch white" panels, so I want to use the "any standard solid color" scheme in calypso red. the rear fender was red when I bought it, no hifi color, so it might have been "calyso red". Tool box and oil tank in black.
Finally to my question: Unfortunately it is no option for me to buy the paint from John Pierce, so does anyone have a clue on what I can tell the painter to match the right "calypso red"? The "paintref" website has a red listed for 1958, which can only be calypso red and they have a dupont reference number listed. Any comments? How do you get the original colors or do you think it doesnt matter since the bike is not 100% original?
xlh59

Return to General K / Sportster Discussions