Time and Attrition

All things K & Sportster

Re: Time and Attrition

Postby EKHKHK56 » Mon Nov 20, 2017 10:52 am

I'd say 5% or less in any "stock", uh oh I said the S word, :shock: condition. Probably much less. I need to quit selling parts again! Get building.
From what I've seen in magazines, internet, anywhere since the 80s there aren't very many left. A lot of K Spoirtsters, and SportyKs, and Choppers, Bobbers, Basket Cases weaved together. After I jotted down the Hi story of the Model K for SPORTSTER.org in 90s, posted here now, I got to meet many K owners around the world. Not that many, no. And not stock. You can't show me 35 56 KHKs 10% or even 15 stock ones. bet you 100$ is that legal Dave? :lol:
EKHKHK56

Postby Lisa » Mon Nov 20, 2017 2:24 pm

I know this owner and am familiar with this bike and it is in very good condition at a great price in my opinion. The better they are the higher the price sold my 53 for 20K and my 55 for 19K K's are on the rise. They are great looking bikes. Stock or chopped Different strokes for different folks.
Lisa

Postby Ferrous_Head » Mon Nov 20, 2017 4:32 pm

I had a good laugh today chatting to an old riding buddy who wants an authentic K model and is convinced he will find one in perfect condition for less than the price of selling his first born grandchild. I shook my head and wished him well.

Kevin, we really need to be thankful that "The Collectors" haven't seriously looked at our bikes. When your talking about 60+ year old motorcycles that weren't made in huge numbers there is always that danger. I just looked at the results for the latest Shannon's auctions and was once again floored to see people paying over $7,000 for a PEDAL car ! Over $3,000 for a headset once worn by Ickx. Signs from the 50's and 60's pulling down 4-7 hundred. When a Combi-Van pulls just under $100,000 you know the guys collecting VW's all have wallets bigger than my house.

We seriously need guys to dismantle some of these old bikes. Without them we would never be able to get some of ours finished. I have 2 x 74's one f which I will be selling shortly. Without Ebay and guys from places like Appleton a LOT of bikes would never see the light of day. Destined to rot inside garages and sheds for all eternity.
"I know only too well the evil that I propose, but my inclinations get the better of me."
Ferrous_Head

Postby EKHKHK56 » Mon Nov 20, 2017 7:20 pm

Nice 53, too cheap!! With correct single stage Forrest or Sea Foam Green it would be really nice! THE DUSTMANTLERS often use unscrupulous bike purchasing methods and parts sales methods. One place, moCk IV mOtors in Wisvonsin, even though I BEGGED them to keep door with cases. Insists on SEPERATING LINE BORED TRANS DOORS FROM THEIR ORIGINAL CASES JUST BECAUSE THEY ARE GREEDY AND WANT THE EXTRA DIME. THEY ALWAYS MISREPRESENT APPLICATION, ALSO. If stripping out a SPORTSTER with 52 K engine they claim all the parts are off a 52K. No titles for anything, gee where did you get the bike? Yeah I see, no bikes for sale, just millions of parts...open after midnight probably also...I wouldn't support this type of activity although I see many folks do. I'm not going to say anything good about these GREEDY people who are the enemy of us builders that try and reassemble these old bikes or keep them original.
EKHKHK56

Postby wz507 » Mon Nov 20, 2017 8:30 pm

Erik, PM sent
wz507

Postby jOe » Tue Nov 21, 2017 12:04 am

I heard a weird factoid years ago; there were more ‘57 Fords built than ‘57 Chevys. Hmm.. I don’t think there would be much argument that ‘57 Chevys today are much more collectible, prevalent and attainable than ‘57 Fords . Bigger numbers don’t necessarily insure a larger survival pool. ‘57 Chevys were iconic from the day they came out . ‘57 Fords we’re just another car and when they broke were more likely to make the trip to the crusher.
On the other hand; how likely is finding an authentic original ‘57 Chevy?

Now if you REALLY want to see fakery gone wild, try gun collecting .
jOe

Postby EKHKHK56 » Tue Nov 21, 2017 4:13 pm

These days anything of value is repopped. And sadly, some sellers forget to mention the real source. Long term short recall. A fellow in oil country bought a 1890s purpled (natural) BAYER pocket size aspirin bottle off me about 5 years ago for $265. He and another guy got into it over it. So a few years later I'm seeing these low quality, wrong glass type, copies coming out. I can tell right away. First of all the threads are incomplete! Anyway question anything of value these days except...........K MODELS
Last edited by EKHKHK56 on Wed Nov 22, 2017 1:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
EKHKHK56

Postby jOe » Tue Nov 21, 2017 4:55 pm

Service-Cars are another source of amusement. Around 1970 they could be had complete and running for $50.
Even adjusted for inflation, today they’ve well outpaced the rate of return for most investments.
I’d say that because they had so little value, most were junked and the survivors became rare.
jOe

Postby mikeslemmon » Wed Nov 22, 2017 12:22 pm

in the late 60's chubby couldn't give away the PD trade ins one sold. for 35 dollars (running) all the buyer wanted was the trans for his side car the secret question is what side is the throttle on funny for this subject
mikeslemmon

Postby hennesse » Wed Nov 22, 2017 2:42 pm

mikeslemmon wrote:in the late 60's chubby couldn't give away the PD trade ins one sold. for 35 dollars (running) all the buyer wanted was the trans for his side car the secret question is what side is the throttle on funny for this subject

That's just to confuse the Indian guys, and those ServiCars guys that had a right-side shift and left-hand throttle - I guess so the cops could chalk tires with their right arm. I had two Servis back in the 1970s, both 1950s or 1960s models - the one with mechanical brakes didn't stop worth a darn. The one with hydraulic brakes did stop, although neither of them went like a darn anyway. One of them came with an extra pair of gas tanks - for the right-side shift option. Never did get all the parts to make the conversion.

Dave
hennesse
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to General K / Sportster Discussions