Clutch Sprocket Spacer

All things K & Sportster

Clutch Sprocket Spacer

Postby JerrryR » Fri Nov 24, 2017 11:20 am

Hi All,
I was hoping someone could help me understand a part mystery. Harley shows two different clutch hub spacers between 57 to 67 and beyond. It appears that either could have been on an H or CH? I can tell you that they are not interchangeable in that I picked up a new short one and it turned out I was replacing the long one on a 68CH, it didn't appear to fit. Why two different setups? Are they interchangeable and I need to just get a bigger hammer? The 67PB does not show the spacer with the Kick Starter exploded view, the 71PB does so I have included it.
Thanks,
Jerry
Hub Spacer1.JPG
Hub Spacer1.JPG (29.08 KiB) Viewed 6162 times

Hub Spacer 2.JPG
Hub Spacer 2.JPG (81.06 KiB) Viewed 6162 times

71PB Cropped.jpg
71PB Cropped.jpg (216.35 KiB) Viewed 6162 times
JerrryR

Re: Clutch Sprocket Spacer

Postby Ferrous_Head » Fri Nov 24, 2017 5:33 pm

The only difference between the "Short" 1.025 and the "Long" 1.047 is the length. The length of this spacer determines how far out the clutch basket sits from the trap door. The real concern here is the distance between the teeth on the clutch hub and the starter gear. Too close and the teeth will hit - too far apart they don't engage as well.
That's as I understand it. Always replace long with long and short with short when you can. Measuring the distance on an "Unkown" setup isn't easy.
"I know only too well the evil that I propose, but my inclinations get the better of me."
Ferrous_Head

Re: Clutch Sprocket Spacer

Postby JerrryR » Fri Nov 24, 2017 6:43 pm

Hi All,
Thanks for replying Ferrous_Head. Part of the mystery has been solved, it's called operator error. It's amazing what you can learn when you actually read the service manual. I also was confusing the clutch sprocket spacer with the starter ratchet gear bushing. In addition I am discovering that there are -73 parts that are not compatible with the -57 parts. I made the assumption I was dealing with -57 parts since the bike is a 68XLCH. Sorry to cry for help to soon, next time I'll try harder.
Happy Festivus to one and all,
JerryR
JerrryR

Return to General K / Sportster Discussions