KHK Cylinders and valve stems

All things K & Sportster

KHK Cylinders and valve stems

Postby Mike » Mon Jan 22, 2018 2:30 pm

I purchased a set of jugs to replace originals with several broken fins on a 55 KHK. The original valve stems measure close to .338 and will not fit in the new cylinders, whose valve guides measure ~.300. When I compare the original and new cylinders side by side, the valve guides in the originals look a little beefy compare to the replacements. I'm not sure what is going on... has anybody ran into this before? Can the valve guides be reamed to accept the original valves or do I need to be looking for another set of valves. Thanks, Mike
Mike

Re: KHK Cylinders and valve stems

Postby starcain » Mon Jan 22, 2018 3:05 pm

I just measured some NOS KH or KHK intake and exhaust valve stems and they do in fact measure 0.339". Close enough to your 0.338" to be the same as your originals. Obviously your replacement cylinders didn't have stock K valves. If it was me I would replace the guides and stick with original size valves. 0.038" plus clearance seems like a lot to try and ream out.
starcain

Postby EKHKHK56 » Mon Jan 22, 2018 3:11 pm

Mike I had a KHK early cylinder like that. Don't know if they used smaller stem KR or WR like the KK for some applications or if an enthusiast did it on their own. I think I would do stock guides and stems, shoot the seats if you have the larger stem valves now. I can send you new large hole guides with your 55 case if you want. Erik
EKHKHK56

Postby Mike » Mon Jan 22, 2018 3:13 pm

Thanks, Erik. Shoot me a text or PM, please.
Mike

Return to General K / Sportster Discussions