Clutch Hub Nut Removal Frustration

All things K & Sportster

Clutch Hub Nut Removal Frustration

Postby Mayday53 » Mon Apr 02, 2018 10:40 pm

Hey Ya’ll,

I need help...

I am trying to get the clutch hub not off my 50 5KHK and after spending several hours in many techniques I cannot get it to budge. Looking for some ideas, knowledge, or experiences which may help. So far I have tried penetrating lube, putting a butane torch to it, using a breaker bar, and finally using a torque wrench. None of those attempts after trying often on for a couple weeks now has worked. Yes by the way, I understand it is reverse thread on it, at least according to the documentation I had from somewhere else. Your help would be much appreciated, I am trying to get the bike into a local bike show on May 7, so I am on a tight deadline...so to speak since I am trying to finish a 4 1/2 year project.
"Mayday"

"Respect is given, disrespect is earned"
Mayday53

Re: Clutch Hub Nut Removal Frustration

Postby Ferrous_Head » Mon Apr 02, 2018 11:35 pm

Think you'll find it's not a left hand thread.
Just use a rattle gun.
"I know only too well the evil that I propose, but my inclinations get the better of me."
Ferrous_Head

Postby starcain » Tue Apr 03, 2018 9:57 am

I haven't dealt with this issue for years but I don't remember the nut being a left hand thread. I dug out a NOS 37525-52 clutch hub nut and it looks like a regular right hand thread to me. I don't have a clutch gear to try it on so just going by the looks of the threads. I would agree with Ferrous_Head then and say it is a right hand thread. The 37533-52 clutch hub lock washer will prevent the nut from coming off. You probably have it pretty tight now if you have been trying to get it off for a couple weeks. Good luck
starcain

Postby wz507 » Tue Apr 03, 2018 10:33 am

Have a clutch gear and nut in my hand - right hand thread.
wz507

Postby Dirty dave » Tue Apr 03, 2018 10:42 am

Have you got a air hammer gun ? Sometimes it’s the only way . If you not got one take it to someone that has.
Dirty dave

Postby Mayday53 » Tue Apr 03, 2018 11:14 am

wz507 wrote:Have a clutch gear and nut in my hand - right hand thread.

So, to be absolutely clear...you are saying I need to move the nut counterclockwise to remove it? I swore it was a left hand thread when a buddy was working on a 53 K...
"Mayday"

Mayday53

Postby Mayday53 » Tue Apr 03, 2018 11:30 am

Dirty dave wrote:Have you got a air hammer gun ? Sometimes it’s the only way . If you not got one take it to someone that has.

Yep tried that too, BUT, I was under the understanding it is left hand thread...I have a lot of documentation saying that and a buddy rebuilt a 53K recently, he said it was left hand thread. Does anyone know if the KHK was different for some oddball, Harley Davidson engineering reason?
"Mayday"

Mayday53

Postby mikeslemmon » Tue Apr 03, 2018 11:54 am

I think there are only 2 reverse threads on a K or XL front hub'52 to '63 and the pinion gear installation tool
mikeslemmon

Postby wz507 » Tue Apr 03, 2018 12:02 pm

Mayday53 wrote:
wz507 wrote:Have a clutch gear and nut in my hand - right hand thread.

So, to be absolutely clear...you are saying I need to move the nut counterclockwise to remove it? I swore it was a left hand thread when a buddy was working on a 53 K...

The attachment of part #s lists 4 different clutch gear numbers used on K Models. Likewise there were also 4 different clutch hub nuts used but……. all the nuts starting from the beginning (the -52 number) were compatible from ’52 to 56, and thereafter the -56A number was used through at least ’67, so appears all the K models and early Sportsters had the same nut and thread used throughout. I believe the changes in nut style were attempts to improve the ability of the nut to seal and keep the dry-clutch drier.

And yes, counterclockwise removal. That said there are errors that occur in parts books, and I've never touched any '52-53 K stuff, but to the best of my ability believe the above to be true.

clutch hub image.jpg
clutch hub image.jpg (59.31 KiB) Viewed 12357 times

Clutch hub part numbers.jpg
Clutch hub part numbers.jpg (101.15 KiB) Viewed 12357 times
wz507

Postby Lisa » Tue Apr 03, 2018 12:14 pm

Impact wrench - NO problem will whip it off.
Lisa

Next

Return to General K / Sportster Discussions