Clutch Hub Nut Removal Frustration

All things K & Sportster

Re: Clutch Hub Nut Removal Frustration

Postby starcain » Tue Apr 03, 2018 12:40 pm

Mayday53 wrote:
Dirty dave wrote:Have you got a air hammer gun ? Sometimes it’s the only way . If you not got one take it to someone that has.

Yep tried that too, BUT, I was under the understanding it is left hand thread...I have a lot of documentation saying that and a buddy rebuilt a 53K recently, he said it was left hand thread. Does anyone know if the KHK was different for some oddball, Harley Davidson engineering reason?

Any chance you could post the documentation you have for the nut being a left hand thread?
starcain

Postby Mayday53 » Tue Apr 03, 2018 1:50 pm

Maybe documentation was used a little too loosely. I meant from looking at websites which showed how to remove the nut and from post made by other folks. It was also from “so-called experts “that I reached out to for help.
"Mayday"

"Respect is given, disrespect is earned"
Mayday53

Postby mikeslemmon » Tue Apr 03, 2018 4:07 pm

no expert like the service manual and a parts book
mikeslemmon

Postby Mayday53 » Tue Apr 03, 2018 4:29 pm

I have the parts manual, however it does not say in that specifically which handed thread the nut is. I wish I could find a service manual, however I have been unsuccessful to find one for the KHK or K model .
"Mayday"

Mayday53

Postby hi-peral » Tue Apr 03, 2018 4:38 pm

I don not believe the factory provided a service manual. Just Dealer updates concerning the K and KH
hi-peral

Postby mikeslemmon » Tue Apr 03, 2018 4:48 pm

maybe pre '65 sportster manual they go back 10 years so K'S might be covered my -'67 book goes back to '57 ( regardless the nut is right hand)
mikeslemmon

Postby Mayday53 » Tue Apr 03, 2018 4:58 pm

Thanks to everyone. I will be giving it a shot, or should I say a turn, tonight. Hopefully, albeit humbling, it solves my challenge.
"Mayday"

Mayday53

Postby Ferrous_Head » Tue Apr 03, 2018 5:36 pm

This is a very easy and common mistake people make. A LOT of engines use left hand threads to hold nuts on shafts that spin CCW. Only stands to reason, right ?
But not on these bikes. Like the race track at Broadford, all right handers.
And I have found over the years more damage done by left hand threaded shafts/bolts than you can poke a stick at. It's just bad engineering practice. A good engineer will come up with a better method to hold two parts together.
The best thing I can say here is that I know that most companies (Ducati at least) make nuts that are softer than the shaft they fit on. What that means is that if you do put your rattle gun on to number 10 by mistake you'll just spin the threads in the nut. Seldom does any real damage to the threads on the shaft.
"I know only too well the evil that I propose, but my inclinations get the better of me."
Ferrous_Head

Postby starcain » Tue Apr 03, 2018 7:35 pm

Ferrous_Head wrote:This is a very easy and common mistake people make. A LOT of engines use left hand threads to hold nuts on shafts that spin CCW. Only stands to reason, right ?
But not on these bikes. Like the race track at Broadford, all right handers.
And I have found over the years more damage done by left hand threaded shafts/bolts than you can poke a stick at. It's just bad engineering practice. A good engineer will come up with a better method to hold two parts together.
The best thing I can say here is that I know that most companies (Ducati at least) make nuts that are softer than the shaft they fit on. What that means is that if you do put your rattle gun on to number 10 by mistake you'll just spin the threads in the nut. Seldom does any real damage to the threads on the shaft.

In this case it's just a bend over tab lock washer (37533-52) to keep the nut from spinning off
starcain

Postby mikeslemmon » Tue Apr 03, 2018 8:12 pm

the trans sprocket is a right thread and held by a tab lock

why does the clutch hub nut have a tab lock but the motor sprocket doesn't ?
why is the pinion gear puller and pinion shaft left hand thread?
why are new motorcycles less fun?
mikeslemmon

PreviousNext

Return to General K / Sportster Discussions