Left Case Bearing

All things K & Sportster

Left Case Bearing

Postby Kevin56 » Tue Apr 24, 2018 5:24 am

Hi, I am in Cairns in the far flung tropics of Australia. I'm building a "late 60's" XLCH based around parts from eBay: '66 frame and swing-arm, 69 cases. I have a good left case with the double row Timken outer race already pressed into the case. It appears brand new, no wear.

The problem I have is finding a centre spacer that fits in the middle between the two tapered Timken bearings. See arrow in photo.

I tried to order the whole double row bearing from local bearing suppliers, so I could simply obtain the centre spacer. It's like trying too teach chess to a flock of pigeons. One counter salesman said Timken Australia no longer supply center spacers with double row bearings; a mechanic needs to determine whats required...????? Clearly don't go to that shop if you're an old man with a ponytail, because that baldy don't like Harley riders.

If I buy the whole double bearing kit on eBay the bearing is $145 U.S and $45 postage....that's $250 Aussie dollars. I can get a spacer machined for about $40 Aussie

What I need: The dimension of the centre spacer...inside diameter, outside diameter and crucially...the thickness.

Can someone please give me accurate measurements.
Attachments
Main bearings - Copy.JPG
Main bearings - Copy.JPG (74.85 KiB) Viewed 12687 times
Kevin56

Re: Left Case Bearing

Postby thefrenchowl » Tue Apr 24, 2018 8:05 am

If you already have the Timken, that's all you need to measure the inside spacer:

Assemble Timken on bench, measure space left between the 2 inners with no play left, add the running play, 3 min to 9 max thou clearance.

Spacer's OD is OD of the inners, its ID is slightly more than the inners' 1" ID, so say 1005 thou

Patrick
Flat Head Forever
https://web.archive.org/web/20071011184353/http://www.harleykrxlrtt.com/index.htm
I'm the one who has to die when it's time for me to die so let me live my life the way I want to...
thefrenchowl

Postby Kevin56 » Tue Apr 24, 2018 8:43 am

Thanks for your advice Patrick, however one Timken is already in the case and the other is already pressed onto the pinion of the flywheels. The flywheels arrived freshly rebuilt with a new Timken already in place. I could buy a single Timken quite easily and a machinist could work out the inside and outside diameters and calculate the thickness, but it would be much easier (stress free and more cost effective) if someone has one sitting on a bench or in a pile of parts.
Kevin56

Postby xlh59 » Tue Apr 24, 2018 9:42 am

The reason why you need this spacer is to set the bearing play ... whithout spacer in the middle you could press both bearings into the seat until they hardly rotate anymore. If the spacer is to big, the rollers dont touch the seat anymore (at least on one side). Now, three to nine thou clearance is so small, that its within the manufacturing tolerances of the bearing (in axial direction due to the taper), so that the bearing is usually only sold as a set. Two bearings, plus seat, plus spacer. This also explains why you cant by a seperate spacer -- its not sure that it fits. And buying another bearing and check then will also not help. You need to use the bearing you have or buy a complete new set -- its not possible for anyone to give you the thickness of that spacer. And even if you have everything outside, it will hardly help, as measuring this is another science for itself. I had two good and complete sets of bearings and threw them in a box. All togehther. Took my hours to find out, which parts belong together.
Sorry for not having better news. If you have a good mechanic ist not a big deal, but you need to take the bearing out.
xlh59

Postby Ferrous_Head » Tue Apr 24, 2018 9:44 am

The bearings are normally supplied with the correct spacer. These can vary in thickness and the sets come with a warning to only use the supplied spacer. ie these are "matched sets".
"I know only too well the evil that I propose, but my inclinations get the better of me."
Ferrous_Head

Postby Ferrous_Head » Tue Apr 24, 2018 9:47 am

Try Richard at Redgraves Motorcycles down in Sydney. He may be able to help you out with something. Speaks fluent Ironhead.
"I know only too well the evil that I propose, but my inclinations get the better of me."
Ferrous_Head

Postby DaveC » Tue Apr 24, 2018 9:54 am

As I recall the folks at Eastern Motorcycle supply sell the spacers in standard and shortened lengths. You may want to buy several to check and get the correct end play.
DaveC

Postby mikeslemmon » Tue Apr 24, 2018 10:22 am

the left main bearing is manufactured as a matched set replace the whole bearing as it was intended you won't be sorry as
this bearing also controls the thrust
mikeslemmon

Postby Ferrous_Head » Tue Apr 24, 2018 5:23 pm

I have no idea what the preload on these bearings would be. Nor how I would measure it.
The other opposed Tapered Timkens on the bike can and should be checked for preload when you install them.
The swinging arm bearings are loaded until you add 1 - 1/2 (from memory - it might be more) lbs measured at the end of the swing arm.
Tapered Timkins in the steering head I measure but "flop" on the front end.
As I say, I have no idea how you would measure this on the drive side pair. Others might know but I have always just replaced this as a matched set. Seemed like good insurance to me.
Ferrous_Head

Postby mikeslemmon » Tue Apr 24, 2018 5:55 pm

there is no pre load the bearing end play is.001 to .010 (this is in the service manual) this is a matched bearing and should only be used as the manufacturer intended all the power the motor makes goes through this bearing
mikeslemmon

Next

Return to General K / Sportster Discussions