handlebar options

All things K & Sportster

handlebar options

Postby xlh59 » Wed Jun 06, 2018 7:28 am

Hi All,

today I was looking at the "1959 spring special" here in the literature section. One thing came to my attention, which I would like to ask here:

Under the handlebars choice there are four options available.

Rigid Buckhorn - Black
    Rigid Speedster - Black
    Rubber Mounted - Chrome Buckhorn
    Rubber Mounted - Chrome Speedster

As I have an original black Speedster Handlebar in my parts, would that have been an option for a 59 Sporster? And how was the handlebar mounted "rigid" on the top tree?
xlh59

Re: handlebar options

Postby EKHKHK56 » Sun Aug 19, 2018 11:02 pm

In the 50s most model Harley Davidsons could be ordered with shiny group or more economical painted Black group of accessories.
EKHKHK56

Postby hennesse » Mon Aug 20, 2018 9:43 am

xlh59 wrote:Under the handlebars choice there are four options available.
    Rigid Buckhorn - Black
    Rigid Speedster - Black
    Rubber Mounted - Chrome Buckhorn
    Rubber Mounted - Chrome Speedster

H-D sometimes combined things incorrectly in their literature. Rigid and rubber-mounted apply to the Big Twins and Lightweights - there's no way to rigidly attach K or Sportster handlebars to the top triple trees.

In 1953 only, there was a "Standard Solo Group" offered in place of the "Deluxe Group". Read about it here. The September 1952 Enthusiast says "black rigid". The 1953 Spare Parts Catalog shows a unique set of handlebars - the 56047-53 and 56048-53, described as "black". I suspect these were black Buckhorns, but who knows - Roger Meinke is probably the only person who has ever seen a 1953 Standard Solo Group bike. There are no special "rigid" triple trees or other attaching parts listed.
hennesse
Site Admin

Postby EKHKHK56 » Mon Aug 20, 2018 2:12 pm

OK got another stick for the spokes...HANDLEBARS. I have 2 early SPEEDSTERS with NO Knurling on the end that plugs in. Also they are nicely WIDER than my other K Speedster pile. One set I had, obviously original old 2 piece 2 control bars in the pile. And one set on my 52K BarnsterBabe. Are these simply Wider One Piece cut in half? Are they "BigTwin" Speedsters? Definitely more comfortable...Erik
EKHKHK56

Return to General K / Sportster Discussions