Spoke Strenght

All things K & Sportster

Spoke Strenght

Postby jOe » Sun Jun 17, 2018 6:14 pm

Are stainless spokes any stronger than plain steel spokes? I imagine that plain steel cadmium plated are somewhat more brittle than just raw steel but not any stronger. Ditto for chrome.
jOe

Re: Spoke Strenght

Postby EKHKHK56 » Sun Jun 17, 2018 6:24 pm

Stainless is generally a little less strong, and less flexible for constant load, unload. However, installed right, they are PLENTY strong enough to go the course, and being more corrosion resistant is a plus. Erik
EKHKHK56

Postby chuckthebeatertruck » Mon Jun 18, 2018 12:29 pm

+1^^^^

Guys who know me, know I built and still build a fair number of wheels.

There's really only one rule I avoid: never use chrome plated spokes. The only spokes I've ever broken were chrome plated.

I much prefer to clean and re-cad or clear zinc plate original spokes.

Barring that, I go stainless every time. If you want a cad look; lightly bead blast them. If you want a chrome look, toss them in a tumbler for a few days with fine walnut shells and autosol. Then lightly buff with white rouge.

I prefer stainless because it does flex and once it takes a torque, it tends to stay there. My 500 mile "touch ups" on new wheels are rarely much more than an a 1/8th turn here or there.

Finally, stainless spokes have been around since the late 60s -- mostly used on large, heavy, and expensive european touring bikes. They've proven their worth time and time again.
chuckthebeatertruck

Postby chuckthebeatertruck » Mon Jun 18, 2018 12:33 pm

jOe wrote:I imagine that plain steel cadmium plated are somewhat more brittle than just raw steel but not any stronger.

Joe -- I'm guessing you read something about "hydrogen embrittlement" and cad plating.

There's MUCH more to it than tech articles suggest. Almost every single place that continues to cad plate small cross section parts bakes them after plating.

Original spokes weren't treated to such a thing. They were batch plated and used . . . most are now 60-70 years old and still rolling down the road.

It's the cheap spokes that bite you. Buy quality ones from buchanans and you'll never, ever have a problem. If you do -- buchanan's will make it right very, very fast.
chuckthebeatertruck

Postby jOe » Mon Jun 18, 2018 2:01 pm

Thanks for the insights. That Slemmon Stroker puts out gobs of power and I was thinking of going with the M&H slick that fits the 16” HD rim. I think I have some good information to make a decision now.
jOe

Postby chuckthebeatertruck » Mon Jun 18, 2018 2:51 pm

Joe:

You didn't mention strokers . . . or slicks . . .

My normal MO is to stick with stock spokes up to about 20% more than stock HP. Above 20%, I usually increased the spoke gauge. In either case -- heavy HP and Torque = checking your tension more regularly.

Keep in mind there are two different ways to increase the spoke gauge. One is heavily swagged spokes (think HD star hub spokes) and the other is drill the rim for bigger nipples and to use one gauge heavier spokes. Sometimes, you also have to redrill the hubs. Either way -- once you get to that stage it may be better to send the whole lot off to Buchanan's and give them all the specs. They will sort you.
chuckthebeatertruck

Return to General K / Sportster Discussions