Question in literature section

All things K & Sportster

Question in literature section

Postby 53modelkhd » Mon Sep 10, 2018 3:28 pm

In the Literature section there is a picture of the cover of the Motorcyclist "Oct 1953".
After you get done looking at the pretty girl, does anyone know what the box is on the front down tubes of the frame?
53modelkhd

Re: Question in literature section

Postby Simon » Mon Sep 10, 2018 3:42 pm

Tube with registration? Spare plug holder? Hard to tell without zoom...
Simon

Postby hennesse » Mon Sep 10, 2018 7:52 pm

When I clicked "SuperSize" it looked like a registration holder. Same thing when I blew it up in Photoshop - couldn't get it too much bigger though.

This bike, and the one in the Cycle Magazine road test, do not have the safety guards. This bike has a two-tone paint scheme - white fenders and blue(?) tank. It has the long handlebars - all the other period photos have the speedster bars. A small oddity is the rear gas tank mounting bolt - it appears to have a large silver-colored washer ???

The Cycle Magazine road test bike shows the 59992-52 License plate support in one of the photos. I like Cycle's closing comments:

I feel safe in predicting that many happy miles will be ridden in the rough
    and on the road on the new KH Jubilee Jewel.

Dave
hennesse
Site Admin

Postby Simon » Tue Sep 11, 2018 3:22 am

Thanks for the pointers on enlargement Dave - I didn't really have the time to mess with it, but there are some pics in that section I'd like to take a closer look at, and will try those methods in the future.
Simon

Postby starcain » Tue Sep 11, 2018 7:46 am

hennesse wrote:When I clicked "SuperSize" it looked like a registration holder. Same thing when I blew it up in Photoshop - couldn't get it too much bigger though.

This bike, and the one in the Cycle Magazine road test, do not have the safety guards. This bike has a two-tone paint scheme - white fenders and blue(?) tank. It has the long handlebars - all the other period photos have the speedster bars. A small oddity is the rear gas tank mounting bolt - it appears to have a large silver-colored washer ???

The Cycle Magazine road test bike shows the 59992-52 License plate support in one of the photos. I like Cycle's closing comments:

I feel safe in predicting that many happy miles will be ridden in the rough
    and on the road on the new KH Jubilee Jewel.

Dave

I believe the gas tank on the Motorcyclist picture is in shadow from her luscious body and not a different color. You can see the sun getting through on the bottom right corner of the tank and the top of the rear head. The washer you are referring to is a 6329 flat washer ( 5/16 x 7/8 x 5/64 ) The parts books all show that washer used only on the right rear mounting bolt. What kind of sense does that make??? Early on we had found some of these washers and I ended up using four of them on both the right and left sides of both my bikes to protect the paint. To me that made more sense? For what it's worth, the 1954 museum KH photo shows them on both the front and back of the tank. The photo of the '54 Spring Special KH that's in front of A.D. Farrow's also shows the washer on the right rear. Although it's usually hard to tell, other factory photos don't show the washers at all so it appears they were not consistently used.What is actually correct is anybody's guess.
Stan
starcain

Return to General K / Sportster Discussions