Rear Safety/Crash Guards

All things K & Sportster

Re: Rear Safety/Crash Guards

Postby Magneto Sportster » Tue Sep 11, 2018 10:28 pm

curiousgeorge wrote:I looked these up in the parts books and they are only listed to 64. This is in the 55-65 book and the 57-67 book. I could understand these not fitting 67 and later H due to the frame change but why only to 64. Someone please enlighten me please.

Chech the -67 parts book. There were several kits offered covering various years
Magneto Sportster

Postby MTaylor » Wed Sep 12, 2018 2:45 am

I have several sets, but I haven't compared them closely. I do remember, though, that they made two different right side rear guards, one for the single exhaust and one for the dual, as Whip, of Whip's Classic XLs showed me years ago.
MTaylor

Postby MTaylor » Wed Sep 12, 2018 2:50 am

Magneto Sportster wrote:I have a few sets, but I noticed in the parts book a different upper shock stud is shown (54515-57) vs. 54515-56A without the rear crash guards. I have discussed with with a few friends, and we are pretty sure that the hex area of the stud is probably thinner to accommodate the width of the upper guard mount, but have never been able to find a real pair of -57s to compare to the -56A. Does anyone have a known original pair of -57s they could share a photo of? Even better if compared to the standard upper shock stud.

Thanks!

I have a NOS rear crash bar mounting Kit somewhere. I think it includes a different shock stud. I'll see if I can dig it out.
MTaylor

Postby chuckthebeatertruck » Wed Sep 12, 2018 8:12 am

MTaylor wrote:I have several sets, but I haven't compared them closely. I do remember, though, that they made two different right side rear guards, one for the single exhaust and one for the dual, as Whip, of Whip's Classic XLs showed me years ago.

That makes a lot of sense given how they mount to the lower tomahawk. I have a bunch of photos from another forum members bike showing them mounted on a 1960 xlh with interconnected duals, they fit very neatly.

On my 2:1 they really slip in nicely, which is why I can't wait to get them plated!

Funny how yet another obscure piece is getting a little light shed on it.
chuckthebeatertruck

Postby curiousgeorge » Wed Sep 12, 2018 9:04 am

My curiosity in this is due to the fact that I have a set and a friend with a 69 was interested. From what I researched I came to the conclusion that they would only fit the short frame models. I realize the books aren`t perfect but all three books, the 65 67 and 71, all list the -63 kit and the -60 left and right bars and show fitment as 57-64. The earliest reference I came up with was a -56 which I "assumed" would be the bars used until the appearance of the -60. It still confuses me as to why the -60 number yet the kit has a -63 and it was the 63 acc. catalog that I first see them listed. Is this just the disparity of Harley`s entry or what? I can say just curious but if I have occasion to sell my bars I prefer to know what I`m selling.
curiousgeorge

Postby Magneto Sportster » Wed Sep 12, 2018 9:55 am

curiousgeorge wrote:My curiosity in this is due to the fact that I have a set and a friend with a 69 was interested. From what I researched I came to the conclusion that they would only fit the short frame models. I realize the books aren`t perfect but all three books, the 65 67 and 71, all list the -63 kit and the -60 left and right bars and show fitment as 57-64. The earliest reference I came up with was a -56 which I "assumed" would be the bars used until the appearance of the -60. It still confuses me as to why the -60 number yet the kit has a -63 and it was the 63 acc. catalog that I first see them listed. Is this just the disparity of Harley`s entry or what? I can say just curious but if I have occasion to sell my bars I prefer to know what I`m selling.

You should have checked the -67 book as I referenced. They list a set for 1967 and forward.
Magneto Sportster

Postby curiousgeorge » Wed Sep 12, 2018 12:15 pm

You are correct MAGNETO. It was an oversight on my part, a previous PO had drawn a heavy line thru all but the -63 kit and the -67 listings and also the 65 and 66 listings. Still i find it odd that the -70 parts book and the -71 have dropped all reference except the -63 kit and the -60 bars. Sometimes I need to wait for the haze to settle. Thanks for putting up with me.
curiousgeorge

Postby curiousgeorge » Wed Sep 12, 2018 12:26 pm

As a follow now I`m waiting for more to be revealed on this. I still need to figure out which bars I have. I have a late 60`s H frame to use as a check but if that doesn`t work then i still to determine the difference between the -60 bars and the 65 66 bars.
curiousgeorge

Previous

Return to General K / Sportster Discussions