Handlebar mount

All things K & Sportster

Handlebar mount

Postby Kevin56 » Tue Nov 13, 2018 11:52 pm

tree 1.jpg
tree 1.jpg (342.01 KiB) Viewed 4446 times

I've never worked on a pre-72 front forks before and I'm confused with the handlebar mount.

I have a set of pre-1970 forks to put on an XLCH. The upper bracket (top tree) is part number 45739-62 and the mount, part number 56158-49 is not fully in the bracket. A reasonable portion is protruding out of the housing. I suspect a previous owner may have pressed it part way out, but as I've never seen one before I don't know. It looks like HD used these mounts from when Moses was a lad

Is it supposed to be fully within the upper bracket?

Also; The spare parts book shows part number 56159-49 Rubber Washer which looks quite deep (thick) and part number 56289--52 Washer, which also looks quite thick.

I'm thinking the mount should be pressed in fully into the upper bracket and the Rubber Washer fits around the tapered part of the mount, and it's outside diameter is a snug fit into the upper bracket...Is that correct?

Lastly, I know the mounts used after 1972 tend to give a lot of movement and need replacing once in awhile. Do the pre-72 mounts collapse or deteriorate or become so stiff with age that they also need replacing?
Kevin56

Re: Handlebar mount

Postby Rubone » Wed Nov 14, 2018 11:49 pm

The rubber mounts are installed correctly. The "rubber Washer" is actually a cup shape, not thick. when assembled correctly (cup down) the top of the cup washer is flush with the top of the tree. The lower washer is flat. Bolts go up into the steel one piece riser.
Rubone

Return to General K / Sportster Discussions