'53 K Model to put together

All things K & Sportster

'53 K Model to put together

Postby K Daddy » Wed Dec 12, 2018 6:40 pm

K model 1.jpg
K model 1.jpg (67.19 KiB) Viewed 7709 times
I recently got a '53 K model, or most of the parts and am setting out to put it in running order.
I don't think I will try to restore to original. I think that would be too costly and take too long. Like I have a Linkert body but it is missing all the internals, float, needles, float bowl, etc. I am amazed at the cost of a Linkert complete for my bike. So, I will try to adapt a modern carb. But what kind? Mikuni? Keihin?
So I am definitely a novice on this project and will have tons of questions.
Is this the forum to help me?
I need a service manual for the K model. Can anyone give me a source?
K Daddy

Re: '53 K Model to put together

Postby elliot9797 » Wed Dec 12, 2018 7:19 pm

Nice project! I can build the linkert carburetor for you. I offer one year warranty on parts, and a lifetime warranty on my work. Rebuild is usually around $300 to $450 since it is a bare body.

Keep the Linkert- It is the best starting, and running carburetor that Harley used in my opinion for these old bikes
elliot9797

Postby Lisa » Wed Dec 12, 2018 8:07 pm

Make shore you have your oil pump modified to eliminate wet sumping keep that oil in the tank where it belongs over time. See Tom for this. Co. Lisa
Lisa

Postby JerrryR » Wed Dec 12, 2018 8:23 pm

Harley did not produce service manuals between 49 and 59. The first SM appears in 1959.

Harley Manual Letter 001 (002).jpg
Harley Manual Letter 001 (002).jpg (131.84 KiB) Viewed 7675 times
JerrryR

Postby hennesse » Wed Dec 12, 2018 9:15 pm

JerrryR wrote:Harley did not produce service manuals between 49 and 59. The first SM appears in 1959.

Yes, and the 1959 Service Manual only covered Sportsters - Harley apparently was trying to forget the K-models. There are only minor differences between the 1959 manual and the 1959 to 1969 Sportster Service Manual sold by various people on eBay. Pick yourself up one of those.

In the Literature section of this website, we have many (approaching most) of the Shop Dope Service Bulletins concerning both K-models and Sportsters. There's some important information there for K-models, particularly the engine fitting specifications, which you can't find anywhere else.

In the technical section of this website, we have many articles on different subjects. Many of the articles go in depth on the Ks, and lighter on the Sportsters, since K information is harder to come by.

From your photo, you're probably right to get it running rather than restore to original. You can spend a lot of money and a lot of years trying, but why? You'll have a lot more fun riding around on an incorrect bike than staring forlornly at a large pile of correct parts on your basement floor.
hennesse
Site Admin

Postby hennesse » Wed Dec 12, 2018 9:15 pm

JerrryR wrote:Harley did not produce service manuals between 49 and 59. The first SM appears in 1959.

Yes, and the 1959 Service Manual only covered Sportsters - Harley apparently was trying to forget the K-models. There are only minor differences between the 1959 manual and the 1959 to 1969 Sportster Service Manual sold by various people on eBay. Pick yourself up one of those.

In the Literature section of this website, we have many (approaching most) of the Shop Dope Service Bulletins concerning both K-models and Sportsters. There's some important information there for K-models, particularly the engine fitting specifications, which you can't find anywhere else.

In the technical section of this website, we have many articles on different subjects. Many of the articles go in depth on the Ks, and lighter on the Sportsters, since K information is harder to come by.

From your photo, you're probably right to get it running rather than restore to original. You can spend a lot of money and a lot of years trying, but why? You'll have a lot more fun riding around on an incorrect bike than staring forlornly at a large pile of correct parts on your basement floor.
hennesse
Site Admin

Return to General K / Sportster Discussions