Electrical Diagram needed - 53 K model

Production K Models

Electrical Diagram needed - 53 K model

Postby Mayday53 » Mon Feb 12, 2018 9:27 pm

Anyone know where I can find a good wiring diagrahm? The bike I am restoring was given to me with all the electrical out in a birds nest. I looked in the technical section, unless I missed it I did not find anything.
"Mayday"

"Respect is given, disrespect is earned"
Mayday53

Re: Electrical Diagram needed - 53 K model

Postby wz507 » Mon Feb 12, 2018 9:38 pm

Hopefully you’ve got a schematic, if not …..

http://www.harleykmodel.com/technical/wiring/index.html

Also, rather than fight with your birds nest, perhaps a new correct harness might be appealing. Vintage MC Supply has nice ones and they are also readily available on ebay.

https://vintagemcsupply.com/products/19 ... -sportster
wz507

Postby Mayday53 » Mon Feb 12, 2018 9:48 pm

I found a schematic, thanks to a friend. I will have to check out those other harnesses. If they are complete in at a reasonable cost is worth my time. Albeit, there is something worthwhile in doing your own wiring is well… Just not sure if it is worth that headache yet.u
"Mayday"

Mayday53

Postby hennesse » Tue Feb 13, 2018 1:02 am

Jim Garrett makes harnesses for these bikes - see if he has any in stock, as he only makes a batch at a time. He makes two kinds - one with modern plastic covering, and one with the original style woven covering. I got one of each for my 54KH. (Jim has me beat - he's got two 1954 KH's - see the Gallery).

I'm doing my bike in two stages - a shakedown period with spray-can paint (in case I find some problems and have to dis-assemble), and a perfection period (when I'm sure it's as perfect as I'm gonna get it, and I'll send the sheetmetal off for professional painting.

I'm putting the modern harness on the bike for the shakedown period (which I hope will be starting this summer), and I got an original style for the perfection period.
hennesse
Site Admin

Postby Mayday53 » Tue Feb 13, 2018 11:44 am

Sorry, but I am not familiar with Jim Garett...does he have a parts business I can look up and contact?
"Mayday"

Mayday53

Postby hennesse » Tue Feb 13, 2018 12:41 pm

Mayday53 wrote:Sorry, but I am not familiar with Jim Garett...does he have a parts business I can look up and contact?

I will email you his email.
hennesse
Site Admin

Postby Mayday53 » Tue Feb 13, 2018 1:52 pm

Thanks
"Mayday"

Mayday53

Postby Mayday53 » Sun Feb 18, 2018 12:19 am

Wiring Challenge 55 KHK.jpg
Wiring Challenge 55 KHK.jpg (112.77 KiB) Viewed 66427 times

Challenge of 55 KHK Wiring.jpg
Challenge of 55 KHK Wiring.jpg (134.12 KiB) Viewed 66426 times

This is what keeps me in on a Saturday evening...rewiring the 55 KHK. I am doing it in 6 volt despite a few strong suggestions to go 12V and add an electronic ignition, but truthfully I am still second guessing the decision.

Any thoughts from you experienced K model guys?
"Mayday"

Mayday53

Postby rito » Mon Apr 10, 2023 6:45 pm

I'm new to the site and ran across your post. I'm working on wiring my 1956 khk and it's no cake walk for sure. I purchased a very nice reproduction complete wiring package for my khk for around 100 bucks a while back and am in the process of installing them. There's a wiring diagram on this site that matches the one that came with my repop wires. Unfortunately I'm having trouble matching some of the wires, especially the wires to the tail light. The colored wires that are described on the diagram are not exactly the same as the wires I bought. Looks like I may have to cut and add to my repop wires. Anyhow, it see you posted this a few years ago and wanted to ask if you finally were able to resolve your wiring installation? Thanks for any recommendations you can send my way.
rito

Postby Jim Garrett » Tue Apr 11, 2023 8:33 am

If you are still having a problem with the tail light wires, send me an email and I'll see if I can help you. [email protected] Jim
Jim Garrett

Return to K, KK, KH, KHK