Idler Gear K v. XL

Production K Models

Idler Gear K v. XL

Postby hennesse » Wed Nov 07, 2018 6:38 pm

Aaack!

I got my engine back from the engine builder, and everything looked good until I tried to put the generator back in - I can't seem to get the oil slinger on the end of the generator gear behind the idler gear - the bearing shield on the gen seems to get in the way. Before I had the engine rebuilt, I took the generator out and put it back in with no problem.

The K-model and Sportster have different idler gears. Is the K-model gear offset to one side? That might explain it. The engine builder didn't have the generator, and he's familiar with XLs.

gears.jpg
Artist's Conception
gears.jpg (57.99 KiB) Viewed 5488 times

I took some really rough measurements. The gears don't seem to align quite right. Is the idler gear offset, and he put it on upside-down?

Thanks,
Dave
hennesse
Site Admin

Re: Idler Gear K v. XL

Postby strong56KH » Wed Nov 07, 2018 9:30 pm

I dug out a 25776-37 from my junk parts and it is offset.
strong56KH

Re: Idler Gear K v. XL

Postby starcain » Thu Nov 08, 2018 11:29 am

Dave, It looks to me like the idler gear is in backwards. I will try to get some pictures and measurements of the idler gear later. Out of time right now. With the offset on the gear, if the short side was towards the inside it seems like you would make up the difference in distance that you show in your drawing.
Stan
starcain

Return to K, KK, KH, KHK