Factory-Modified V.I.N.

Classic short-frame models

Factory-Modified V.I.N.

Postby bill pedalino » Mon Apr 13, 2020 4:12 pm

I worked as a mechanic at a Long Island Harley Dealership in the late '60/early '70's. in 1971 I remember un-crating and setting up a Sportster that had an original factory V.I.N stamped, those numbers then struck-over and the actual number (official) stamped immediately below the strike-through. Given that this time period was the heyday for stolen bikes, I thought it a bit strange but the Factory assured the Dealership that this was acceptable practice, the Dealership accepted the bike, and sold it to a customer.

About three years later I worked at an independent Harley repair/chopper shop where a customer offered me a burned up (in a fire) 1970 CH Sportster. Before I bought the bike, I noted that it also had a Factory-renumbered V.I.N. and given my previous experience at the Dealership, I didn't think anything of it. I purchased the bike, rebuilt it, stroked it, and rode it it off and on for many years and I still own it.

I'm now planning to restore it and have it judged by the AMCA as a period-modified machine (I added an electric start which I refuse to remove). However..... I'm now a bit Leary about the V.I.N. I'm wondering if I should write the Factory, give them the V.I.N. number, and ask that they issue a letter of confirmation of the bike's legitimacy. Would anyone know of a Department or person at the Factory whom I might be contact?

Thanks
bill pedalino

Re: Factory-Modified V.I.N.

Postby 55panman » Mon Apr 13, 2020 5:26 pm

Weren't all the factory records lost in a fire at some point in the 60's or early 70's??
55panman

Postby hugoct » Mon Apr 13, 2020 5:39 pm

The records still exist.
Access to them is a whole different matter.
The people in Milwaukee are far more likely to assist a dealer.
hugoct

Postby panic » Mon Apr 13, 2020 5:55 pm

I bought an ex-NYPD FLH (1968 or) from the City's Department of Purchase (who I presume was the original buyer) around 1976 with a struck-through VIN, and another number stamped, eventually sold it, never came back.
[url="http://victorylibrary.com/L-BK.htm"]The Linkert Book[/url]
panic

Postby hennesse » Mon Apr 13, 2020 5:58 pm

bill pedalino wrote:I worked as a mechanic at a Long Island Harley Dealership in the late '60/early '70's. in 1971 I remember un-crating and setting up a Sportster that had an original factory V.I.N stamped, those numbers then struck-over and the actual number (official) stamped immediately below the strike-through. Given that this time period was the heyday for stolen bikes, I thought it a bit strange but the Factory assured the Dealership that this was acceptable practice, the Dealership accepted the bike, and sold it to a customer.

I'm wondering if I should write the Factory, give them the V.I.N. number, and ask that they issue a letter of confirmation of the bike's legitimacy. Would anyone know of a Department or person at the Factory whom I might be contact?

There seems to be something missing from your story. The manufacturer supplies the dealer with a Manufacturer's Certificate of Origin for a new motorcycle or car. That will have the vehicle's serial number (VIN nowadays) on it. That should be the same serial number as on the motor. The MCO is proof that the dealer legally purchased the vehicle from the manufacturer. (States issue titles, manufacturers issue MCOs). It sounds to me that the paperwork got mixed up, and an expedient shortcut was taken to fix the problem. That would never happen since 1981, because it's a been a federal crime to alter a VIN number since then.

The AMCA will most probably disqualify your 70 CH because of an altered serial number - unless you can document it. Question - how do you know this bike had a "factory-renumbered VIN" and not a backyard-renumbered VIN? Factory documentation. As 55panman says, many of the old factory records were lost (corroborated by Bruce Palmer in HTRYHD), so it is unlikely that they have any records of your bike.

But you can try. I would suggest writing a letter to them rather than calling. Explain the situation. Have someone else proof-read your letter to ensure that it's clear and there are no unanswered questions. Send photos of the serial number and belly numbers.

Harley-Davidson Customer Care
3700 W. Juneau Avenue
Milwaukee, WI 53208

To speak with a Harley-Davidson customer care representative please call 800-258-2464 or 414-343-4056.
Representatives are available Monday through Friday 8:00 a.m. – 7:00 p.m. Central Daylight Time (CDT).

Good luck!
hennesse
Site Admin

Postby Ferrous_Head » Mon Apr 13, 2020 6:46 pm

The build sheets are still in the archives.

But what number are you going to give them ?
The struck through number ?
The new number ?

Unless this change is noted on the build sheet you can't prove anything by having the build sheets.
"I know only too well the evil that I propose, but my inclinations get the better of me."
Ferrous_Head

Postby hugoct » Mon Apr 13, 2020 9:34 pm

According to records of race department :
At least 70 1974-5 XR750 motors with the 4 of the ending H4 slashed through and replaced with a five done at the factory.
The Knievel XR750 at Wheels through Time has the entire number on the pad slashed out and replaced with a different number in the same position as the 1980 XR750s done at the factory.
On that motor the original crankcase numbers are slashed out and replaced.
The original slashed out numbers had already been used on an XR750 motor which exists.
Just when you think you have seen it all.......
hugoct

Postby 55panman » Tue Apr 14, 2020 5:22 pm

Bill, the XR750 I'm sorting parts for and putting together right now is one of those '74 with the struck through number / is how the 4 was struck through and then a 5 punched. Ron
55panman

Postby hugoct » Tue Apr 14, 2020 6:00 pm

Ron, what is the number?
hugoct

Postby 55panman » Tue Apr 14, 2020 10:07 pm

Bill, the engine # 1C10060H /4 5 match numbers look like 57 but engines on a stand and it's kind of low and hard to see. Any info on that? Thanks, RL
55panman

Next

Return to 1957 to 1969