Delco Regulator with a 65A generator

Classic short-frame models

Delco Regulator with a 65A generator

Postby jOe » Fri Dec 25, 2020 5:58 pm

Can the old style 3 post voltage regulator be made to work with the Model 65A generator?
jOe

Re: Delco Regulator with a 65A generator

Postby Rubone » Fri Dec 25, 2020 6:20 pm

The standard regulator on an XLH was a 3 component regulator with a 65A. I guess it depends on what you are calling a "3 post"?
Rubone

Postby jOe » Fri Dec 25, 2020 7:49 pm

Batt, gen , field
jOe

Postby Rubone » Fri Dec 25, 2020 8:45 pm

It is fine as long as it is 12V.
Rubone

Postby jOe » Fri Dec 25, 2020 9:21 pm

What I was driving at is, can a 6v be modified to work on a 12v system
jOe

Postby hennesse » Sat Dec 26, 2020 4:05 pm

jOe wrote:What I was driving at is, can a 6v be modified to work on a 12v system

Why would you? You can buy a NOS one on eBay right now. There are two: one is $99, the other is $85. It is Delco # 1119614 and Harley # 74510-64 Search for "Delco-Remy 1119614"

A NOS regulator is a very worthwhile investment. Regulators wear out from hours of operation, not from calendar age. A NOS regulator has 0 hours. A used regulator has unknown hours. The NOS regulator will last your lifetime - and much more. The used one? Guess your best. There are new reproduction ones sold for half the price, but you'll have to guess your best on the quality of those.

Could you? Perhaps. Assuming the one you are speaking of has the same internal construction. Since the 12v system carries half the amperage of a 6v, the wires in a 6v regulator would not burn up from application of 12 volts. However, it is very doubtful that anything would work correctly. Even if the coils in the voltage and current sections worked passably at double the voltage (doubtful), the voltage section would need to be adjusted to operate at twice the voltage, and the current section would need to be adjusted to half* the current. I doubt that there would be that much adjustment range. Also, there are one or two resistors in there that might be the wrong value. Remember, Delco-Remy spent a lot of money on engineering to make a product that worked correctly and last a long time.

-----
Many regulators (of the same voltage and polarity) have the same internal construction, and the only differences are the factory adjustment of voltage and regulator settings. A regulator for a 1968 Cadillac, which has a lot more electrical requirements than a 1968 Harley, operates at voltage X and current Y, while the Harley will have lower settings. Getting these adjustments correct is a tedious, time-consuming process, and is best done on a test bench rather than on a vehicle. Instead, Delco factory adjusted a regulator for a 1968 Cadillac, and gave it part number 1119abc, and they factory adjusted one for a 1968 Harley and gave it part number 1119614. That way, the mechanic can look it up in the catalog, and just slap it on the vehicle- instead of spending considerably time trying to adjust a generic one.

But you can't judge a book by its cover - regulators which look the same from the outside can be way different inside. Even inside, you may not be able to see a difference, and by that, I don't mean just the adjustments. 20 years from now, people will have to get pretty creative to replace a failed regulator. But today, you can still buy a brand-new one for a reasonable price - so do it!

* not exactly. In general, later motorcycles had more electrical equipment, larger batteries (for electric start) and needed a higher charge rate than older bikes.
hennesse
Site Admin

Postby hennesse » Sat Dec 26, 2020 4:24 pm

hennesse wrote:Many regulators (of the same voltage and polarity) have the same internal construction, and the only differences are the factory adjustment of voltage and regulator settings.

For example:

Take a look at the Technical: Voltage Regulator article. In the "section "Harley-Davidson to Delco-Remy Cross Reference", you will see that a 1962 XLH used a Harley 74510-47A / Delco 1118995, while a 1962 XLCH used a Harley 74510-59 / Delco 118989. I believe (but cannot swear) that these are the same physical units, the only difference being adjustment settings. Scroll down to the "Delco-Remy Specifications", and you'll see the settings for each one.

Click on the link for Delco document 1R-116, and you'll find directions for making the adjustments. Not for the faint-of-heart.
hennesse
Site Admin

Postby jOe » Sat Dec 26, 2020 6:33 pm

I’m surmising that the answer to the question is a No.

Just thought I’d check, I like the look of the old Delco style. No question that a NOS 12v unit is the smartest way to go.
jOe

Postby xlh59 » Mon Dec 28, 2020 3:14 pm

I always use the various available electronic regulators and hide them in the original housing. In that way you upgrade your electric system to modern technology and you keep 100% the original optics. The cost around 60-80€ in germany. I usually use BMW/12V/negativ controlled regulators. In my XLH I run the correct -58 generator and Delco regulator, but with -65A internals and the electronic regulator. BTW, this setup works even flawless without a battery on magneto bikes.
unnamed.jpg
unnamed.jpg (35.45 KiB) Viewed 8841 times
xlh59

Return to 1957 to 1969