RIP Donald "Donnie) Frank Vetter Jr.

Classic short-frame models

RIP Donald "Donnie) Frank Vetter Jr.

Postby Rubone » Tue Sep 28, 2021 8:47 pm

A few weeks ago a very old friend of mine passed due to complications of Covid. He was quite the character and we knew each other from our teenage years, growing up with bikes, parties, general hooliganism, etc....
Over the last 50+ years we were drawn together, moved apart, and back together again as life directed us. We worked together for the local H-D dealer when we were hot young wrenches trying to make our mark. He stayed in the trade for many years, running his own shop (Vetter Cycle in ABQ NM), and pushing the envelope of the lifestyle. As things were winding down he had fairly recently retired and looked forward to more riding and relaxing. Sadly that was not to be.
His sister, also an old friend whom I have known since she was about 14 and his only living relative called and said she had something she wanted to give me of his. When she told me what it was I protested but she said her mind was made up, several other friends had agreed with her, so I had no say in the matter. :shock:
So last Sunday I made the trip to his home where she is struggling with the estate to pick up my "gift". I have not wrapped my head around it quite yet so it could be an ongoing event. First order of business will be where to put it in the already overflowing shop.
So here it is...
Did I mention he was a master wrench? :mrgreen: I will miss him, especially his laugh!
Attachments
DCP_4689.JPG
DCP_4689.JPG (210 KiB) Viewed 21452 times
DCP_4690.JPG
DCP_4690.JPG (249.53 KiB) Viewed 21452 times
Rubone

Re: RIP Donald "Donnie) Frank Vetter Jr.

Postby No side stand » Tue Sep 28, 2021 10:23 pm

Hi Rubone. Sad to read of your friends passing. The drag bike looks great and is a marvelous way to remember your friends creativity and passion for mechanical work. Jim McClure was in his 70s and still racing so there's still time for your comeback. Regards Steve
No side stand

Postby 55panman » Wed Sep 29, 2021 12:39 am

Rubone, Sorry for your loss. Sure hope you get that bike out and make a few passes in honor of your buddy. Let us know what you turn. Regards, RL
55panman

Postby Rubone » Wed Sep 29, 2021 6:51 pm

Chances of it being "used in anger" are quite slim. The learning curve just to get in touch with it is daunting, I need way more info than I have at this point. But who knows, the time may present itself!
Rubone

Postby 55panman » Thu Sep 30, 2021 12:45 am

Rubone, where you at? Maybe I can help.
55panman

Return to 1957 to 1969