1968 XLR??

Classic short-frame models

Re: 1968 XLR??

Postby mikeslemmon » Sat Mar 18, 2017 6:26 pm

the motor was too big for class c racing the chassis was to big for 30.50 engine so I guess there would have been a need for another model maybe the heat problem was partly an excuse partly true but it would .interesting to have been there
..main point is 60 degrees makes more power than 45 degrees. ..
mikeslemmon

Postby mikeslemmon » Sat Mar 18, 2017 6:37 pm

I would like to know what wagner had to say.
mikeslemmon

Postby sportsterpaul » Sun Mar 19, 2017 12:21 am

60 degrees makes more power than 45 degrees.

Well.....60 degrees allow bigger bores and that allows shorter stroke and that allows more RPM and since power is torque times RPM that makes more power. But Patrick is right that it would not sound or feel like a Harley, and I can see why the management would be afraid to introduce it. The Factory tried 60 degrees in 2001 with the V-Rod, and I don't think it has done very well.

Patrick, I would love to see the Wagner thread, but maybe start a new thread, or post it on your website and link to it from here.
sportsterpaul

Postby Kevin56 » Sun Mar 19, 2017 1:37 am

Reading this post with wide eyes and ignorance, learning much and wishing you had a PML button, (Pissing Myself Laughing) :lol: much like the "like" button on Facelessbook, but with more heart. Some of the commentary on this post is hilariously cynical and brutal. I don't know what design problems occurred after 1975. My Sportster at the time was a '74 XLCH with the gear lever on the right side, which will always be the right side to me....I simply ignored anything after 1976...and here I am being one of those "young guys" looking for a '60's model now I'm in my '60's because they probably were better and more reliable than the AMF models. The shorter '60s XLCHs sure as hell look more compact and sporty than the mid '70's XLCH.

Back in the late '70's while my engine was in pieces I cut off the hump for the starter motor off the engine case and the primary cover, because it was an ugly lump and a waste of space. I plated the gap with aluminum plate and had it professionally welded while adding the extra screw hole at the top then worked it smooth. That allowed me to lower the battery cradle. I think my yearning for the past is clearly evident in the primary cover and tank decal, (photo taken in '87) Anyway seeing as how you've all managed to go off topic a little, just count my contribution as "recess". Carry on
Attachments
R001-023cropped.jpg
R001-023cropped.jpg (286.04 KiB) Viewed 8575 times
Kevin56

Postby EKHKHK56 » Sun Mar 19, 2017 4:13 am

I'm glad H-D built the K. Best looking motorcycle ever built. My first Harley was a 55KHK. I've owned high revving foreign bikes and have no use for all that. I love the 45° near 5" stroke engine that would beat 90% of vehicles across the intersection on green. Geared tall and torquing while others are revving and shifting. To me the Model KHK is the greatest bike ever built and my favorite to ride. The proven 1929 design needs no explanation or questioning. A 45 degree engine can make as much or more power than a 60 degree one it just won't be as smooth. I like un-smooth. I like chunky. I like vibration. I don't like over head valves or OHC. I like torque and tall gears. 40 years after its design the H-D 45" beat all the fancy new 1969 tech, 4 cyl OHC racers etc, and lapped them all at Daytona. I don't care who was at the controls the motorcycle was legit along with the technology. It's Flatheads for me, KHK please...besides that I have no interest in anything with turn signals or pushrods. I'm a modern guy really... :D Erik K
EKHKHK56

Previous

Return to 1957 to 1969