Counterclockwise?

Classic short-frame models

Counterclockwise?

Postby jOe » Sat Dec 27, 2014 3:57 pm

So you're there going by the book and installing a magneto. You get to the part where it says put the have the points just opening with the cam follower counterclockwise on the small lobe. Now to me with a limited linguistical education, 'counterclockwise' is a term that illustrates a directional movement of a clock. So looking at the shaft from above, picking a 12 o'clock position on any axis(let's say pointing forward),and disregarding the directional rotation of the shaft, a counterclockwise direction would be towards the left. Given that, the cam follower would end up somewhere around the 10-11 O'clock position when viewed from above if the direction from the Service Manual is taken literally. But no, it's not. The right position is around the 1 or 2 O'clock position to the right of the axis when viewed from above.
I say crossout 'counterclockwise' and substitute something like 'outboard', 'starboard side', 'to the right' or anything else to make it clear. When all else fails, look at the illustration in the Service Manual and make it look like that.
"Points just opening" is another vague instruction. A good buddy gave me a great tip on this that works like a champ; put a piece of cigarette paper between the points and rotate the mag until it's just free enough to pull out. I used a white Zig-Zag with much success, but probably the yellow ones work just as well (don't know about Bugler though).
jOe

Re: Counterclockwise?

Postby sean » Sat Dec 27, 2014 5:00 pm

i agree.the white zigzags are the best
sean

Postby jOe » Sat Dec 27, 2014 8:12 pm

cycledelic timing
jOe

Postby hennesse » Sat Dec 27, 2014 10:08 pm

jOe wrote:So looking at the shaft from above

These magnetos rotate counter-clockwise. Or anti-clockwise for our British friends. Or widdershins for our really old British friends. Look on the magneto's nameplate - it says CCW.

The direction refers to the rotation of the shaft as viewed from the drive end.

A .002 feeler gauge works too. Save the Zig-Zags for better things.
Dave
hennesse
Site Admin

Postby jOe » Sat Dec 27, 2014 11:44 pm

No argument... I get it.. My point was the wording in the manual is confusing. Counterclockwise implies a right hand rotation when viewing the face of the clock. 'Counter rotor shaft rotation' might be semantically more useful if not equally murky.
For the record, I don't think I've bought a pack of Zigzags since Nixon was president. You could make a simple on/off test light with a battery , bulb, wire and a couple of roach clips .
jOe

Return to 1957 to 1969