Glenn Bator Resto Video

Classic short-frame models

Glenn Bator Resto Video

Postby Glenn Bator » Thu Jan 17, 2019 2:08 pm

Hey Guys,

I wanted to let you all know that I wrapped up the resto on my 1957 Sportster. I did a walk around video and am asking for all feedback, good and bad. With the help of my OLD pal Dave Carleton and Scott Lange, I think I have this one nailed down to the T. If you all would, please have a look and let me know what I missed or what may need corrected. This bike is going over the auction block next week at Mecum's in Vegas. I have a tall but realistic reserve on the bike and if it does not hit the number, I will be happy to bring it home. You can find the video under my name on YouTube or hit the link below. Please feel free to give me a call at 805 798-1802 or email to [email protected] and don't forget to check out our website at www.batorinternational.com.

Regards,

Glenn

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=570KRtLTCs4&t=84s
Glenn Bator

Re: Glenn Bator Resto Video

Postby thefrenchowl » Fri Jan 18, 2019 5:50 am

Hi Glenn,

I know you work very well and I have seen some of your bikes over the years...

But just the sight of a pair of surgical white gloves touching a motorcycle number plate holder made me shut down your video instantly...

Good luck at the auction...

Patrick
Flat Head Forever
https://web.archive.org/web/20071011184353/http://www.harleykrxlrtt.com/index.htm
I'm the one who has to die when it's time for me to die so let me live my life the way I want to...
thefrenchowl

Postby mikeslemmon » Fri Jan 18, 2019 9:30 am

nice job Glenn it must have been nerve wracking working with that AMCA judge, this kind of project can drive a sane person nuts, and most don't realize the amount of time and energy (and money) it takes.
mikeslemmon

Postby DaveC » Fri Jan 18, 2019 12:33 pm

Thanks to this group and web site we are all getting better thanks to most every posting at what we are passionate about. Kudos to Jerry R, Dave H, Scott L and all of you who share your knowledge. It takes a village.
DaveC

Postby Glenn Bator » Fri Jan 18, 2019 3:54 pm

Hello All,

Thank you for the feedback! As mentioned, I sincerely appreciate the time and effort that you all have put towards my request for critique. I have received a number of responses with certain points of interest. One note, to the gentleman that did not want to view my video because I was wearing gloves, just for your information, I got in the habit of wearing them after my doctor discovered that my liver count was off because of the solvents being absorbed through the pours in my hands. It's not vanity, it's a safety thing!

Here are a few items that were brought to light by one or more of our fellow enthusiasts.

Oil tank cap has the short oil tank cap screw arms. Should be the full length arms. Part # 62620-52. You do have the correct smooth sided cap.
Shocks have the wrong interior rear fork suspension stud nuts (4). Should be older style flex lock nut part# 7993 *hard to find!*
Shock Cups are A/B – Should be stamped “R” – part # 54539-56 *hard to find!*
Crankcase breather pipe 24912-54. Should be routed toward the center of the engine, inside of the oil pressure switch.
Fuel shutoff valve 62125-55. Should have “reserve” stamped valve knob mounted forward. Looks like plain knob now.
Missing fuel line clips. 9998 – Dave C says these are optional depending on fuel line type. **after having a fuel line hose pop off on me on an old Triumph I was restoring while riding, I don’t know if I would trust a non-clamped connection.
Oil line rubber hose part # 63517-54 should be cloth covered. I am working on a solution for this with Jerry Raino’s help.
Front fork panel 4 side screws. 2823. Should be rounded - not flat top. Those are available at Colony - Kit part # 3175-6. Same for the coil cover mounting screws 2823. Rounded not flat head. **This is under discussion with Dave C** Not sure if I am correct.
Gas tank paint lines are off a little bit by the emblems. Should intersect bottom of the Harley white box and the top of the Davidson white box
Seat front mount nut – should this be parkerized? It is on the Blue Chasteen bike.
This one is from a Dave C. conversation: Rear shock top cover clamps are stainless - part # 54705-52, not chromed, as are all exhaust and muffler clamps

Another members response to the above!

2. Museum bike and I believe the Raino #20 bike have nylocks on the shock studs top and bottom. This bike would most likely have nylocks
6. See museum bike, this hose is also used on lawn mower motors.Loren carpenter researched this.
9. All of the masking was done by hand and minor variations did occur.
10. Nut is cad, Don is in error.
11. Could be polished stainless, like the horn and air cleaner covers. I prefer not to polish.

It would be interesting to get the shock cup marking story, R vs. A, B.

1., 3. 4., 5, 7, 8, all good stuff, we learn something every day. It takes a village.

I also had a question on the distributor point base. The question was, when did the notch happen on the bottom edge and was it correct for the 57? The thought was that the notch was for the K Model to possibly clear the lifter block and when did it change over and what was the difference between the 32575-52 and 32575-57?

Here's another:

Is your shifter bolt correct direction? Factory, came up from the bottom? Just asking?

RE:

Hello R,
Thank you for the email and I appreciate you looking the 57 over for me.

Dave Carleton caught the rear fender front support being painted instead of parkerized, the front fender upper mounting bolts should have the narrow pinch nuts and the upper motor mounts should not have washers under the bolt heads.

Looking back on the factory museum 57, it has the bolt for the shifter coming from the top with the nut on bottom.

Anyway, here you go and thank you all for the feedback! If the bike does not sell at auction, I will be bringing it back home to correct all of the infractions and will do another video for everyone to make fun of!

Glenn
Glenn Bator

Postby strong56KH » Sat Jan 19, 2019 2:20 pm

Check this out! A Pohlman photo of the left side of the 57 XL.
83805.jpg
83805.jpg (138.22 KiB) Viewed 15136 times

To answer some of Glenn's questions: Note the parkerized nuts on both the motor stud above the vin pad and on the saddle bar bolt. Also note the cad flex-loc nut on the lower crankcase mount stud.

Glenn quote "I also had a question on the distributor point base. The question was, when did the notch happen on the bottom edge and was it correct for the 57? The thought was that the notch was for the K Model to possibly clear the lifter block and when did it change over and what was the difference between the 32575-52 and 32575-57? "

The timer bases, 32575-52 and 32575-57, are identical on my 56 and 57 except for 4 lobes around the orifice for the timer shaft on the 56 (two lobes can be seen in picture below).
IMG_9377.JPG
IMG_9377.JPG (56.81 KiB) Viewed 15136 times

The notch at the bottom of the timer base is for clearance above the coil cable so the timer is easier to turn.
strong56KH

Postby DaveC » Sat Jan 19, 2019 3:12 pm

Attached is a photo from a early 57 road test which shows the motor top thru stud nut as cad.
Attachments
Horn 1 small.jpg
Horn 1 small.jpg (84.3 KiB) Viewed 15126 times
DaveC

Postby JerrryR » Sun Jan 20, 2019 9:57 pm

Hi Strong56KH,
Would it be possible to get a copy of that Pohlman photo of the left side of the 57XL to Dave to put on the website. I checked and he only has right side photos.
Thanks,
JerryR
JerrryR

Postby strong56KH » Mon Jan 21, 2019 11:26 am

Hi Jerry,

This image is all I have. It was taken off the web from this site: www.soymotero.net/foto?a=23693&i=83805

Perhaps Dave could contact the administrator and get a better resolution image and permission to use it.

Mark
strong56KH

Postby hugoct » Tue Jan 22, 2019 8:36 am

Pohlman photos are copyrighted by Harley Davidson. If someone has them on a website only Harley can give you legal permission to use them. No one seems to care about copyrighted material in the digital age. There used to be a person from Montana named Matz who would pirate photos from Mahony Photography and from Girdler's books, watermark them with the name "Matz" and claim them as his own work. C'est la vie
hugoct

Next

Return to 1957 to 1969