Colony Gas Tank Mounting Hardware

Good places to get work done

Colony Gas Tank Mounting Hardware

Postby DaveC » Sun Dec 15, 2019 4:42 pm

I just recieved K and Sportster gas tank mounting hardware from Colony. There are five separate packages, three spacers (-52, -52A and -57) and two mounting bolt kits (cad and parkerized), washers and flex lock nuts. The bolts are CP 1038 marked and manufactured by Chandler Products for Colony. All of these are a match for the OEM parts I provided.
Attachments
Gas Tank Spacers 2.jpg
Gas Tank Spacers 2.jpg (114.47 KiB) Viewed 25186 times
DaveC

Re: Colony Gas Tank Mounting Hardware

Postby wz507 » Sun Dec 15, 2019 4:59 pm

Hats off to Colony for making more nice restoration hardware available to us! Question - in looking at K and early XL tank mountings (a very small sampling since I haven't seen that many), I've seen bolt heads that were "plain" and "circle F", but have not seen CP1038. Was that also a common bolt head in use or might that be for slightly later bikes? Thanks.
wz507

Postby GaryM2 » Mon Dec 16, 2019 9:59 pm

Dave C sent me a better picture showing the part numbers on the Colony parts.See attached.

I asked Dave about the washers, which looked to be the wrong outside diameter (too small) compared to the ones used on the Harley Museum 1957 Sportster and the Chasteen 1957 Sportsters. These bikes have the larger 6329 washer on both the front and the rear bolts and on both sides - bolt head and nut side. I don't see a split lock washer used on these bikes.

6320 Washer dims: 5/16" x 11/16" x 1/16"

6329 Washer dims: 5/16" x 7/8" x 5/64""

7040 Split Lock Washer dims: 5/16" x 9/16" x 1/16""

The washers on the Colony parts label are listed as 6320, however my parts book, and a few other year books, show the washer in the picture, but not on the parts list in the tank section. They are a 6329 washer on the rear bolt side and a split lock washer 7040 on the nut side. The picture does not show a 6329 washer on the front bolt, only a split washer 7040 on the nut side. Could be that the picture is wrong?

Also, the parts book list bolt 4082 for both the front and the rear tank bolts on all K and early large tank Sportsters. The colony hardware has 4082 and 4072 bolts which are different lengths.

Regarding the spacers: The parts manual list 2 spacers for the rear bolt and that's all that shows up in the picture. There is no mention of spacers for the front bolt.

What is correct? Seems like the bolts, washers, and spacers, need to be confirmed for correct application on each bike.

Don't get me wrong....I am extremely thrilled that Colony Hardware is helping us all by making these hard to find parts. I have bought many parts from Colony as a result. Thanks to Colony and to Dave C for driving them to offer these to us all.
Attachments
Tankhardware1.JPG
Tankhardware1.JPG (256.54 KiB) Viewed 25107 times
Tankhardware2.JPG
Tankhardware2.JPG (233 KiB) Viewed 25107 times
Tankhardware3.JPG
Tankhardware3.JPG (74.62 KiB) Viewed 25107 times
GaryM2

Postby wz507 » Mon Dec 16, 2019 11:55 pm

GaryM2 wrote: Also, the parts book list bolt 4082 for both the front and the rear tank bolts on all K and early large tank Sportsters. The colony hardware has 4082 and 4072 bolts which are different lengths.

Regarding the spacers: The parts manual list 2 spacers for the rear bolt and that's all that shows up in the picture. There is no mention of spacers for the front bolt.

What is correct? Seems like the bolts, washers, and spacers, need to be confirmed for correct application on each bike.

I’m quite certain that for the K Model and early large tank XLs that the bolts were all the same length – 3-1/16” length. The front mounting boss that the tank attaches to is ~ 2.5” wide. The rear mounting boss is considerably narrower, but with the 2 required rear spacers present (~ 0.70” total additional width), it too has a total width of ~ 2.5”. This is also the distance between the tank mounting tabs. In conclusion, the 2 bolts have to be the same length in this application.

That said, I’ve seen several of the subject bikes that employed narrower spacers or no spacers at all, resulting in the rear tank mount tabs being crushed/narrowed significantly, and therefore one shorter bolt could be employed in such damaged applications.
wz507

Return to Reliable and Reasonable Resources