1964 XLCH Restoration

This Forum is for members to describe the restoration process they used in building their bike - in a series of postings describing each step from acquisition through road-worthy.

This is NOT a general discussion forum. Sit back and learn the techniques - and mistakes - that another member has gone through.

You may ask questions of the member who started the topic, but most of the postings within a topic should be submitted by the member who started the topic.

Re: 1964 XLCH Restoration

Postby bigal883 » Sun Jul 24, 2022 12:22 pm

Hi I have a 1964 XLRTT. with a dc 12 but have a damaged idle tube can't find anywhere. These tubes fit dc 10 carb also. Have a 1960 XLCH I bought back in 1960 still drive it. Any info on tube would be helpful am trying to fabricate one but no luck finding the tubes. thank you bigal883
bigal883

Postby dave swanson » Sun Jul 24, 2022 4:46 pm

bigal883 wrote:Hi I have a 1964 XLRTT. with a dc 12 but have a damaged idle tube can't find anywhere. These tubes fit dc 10 carb also. Have a 1960 XLCH I bought back in 1960 still drive it. Any info on tube would be helpful am trying to fabricate one but no luck finding the tubes. thank you bigal883

The next time the carb is apart I would be glad to take some pictures, but in the meantime if you start a thread in the 57 to 69 Sportster section I am sure you will get all the info you need.
dave swanson

Postby dave swanson » Sun Jul 24, 2022 4:48 pm

It's getting serious now. Both feet on the ground! It's time to slot the engine in place, but one small delay, I have to build it first. Engine build next!

dave swanson

Postby dave swanson » Thu Jul 28, 2022 2:08 pm

When I tore the engine down years ago I found the pinion shaft was very worn, so new Jim's pinion was purchased.

Having a new pinion shaft separate from the flywheel makes it dead simple to do the plug fit method of sizing the roller bearings.

I had cleaned up the journal with a line bore lap way back when and had forgotten how far I had taken the lapping. Since I have all the oversize rollers on hand I used the plug fit to find out. Plug fit was at .0004 over standard so the bearing journal was still nominal. Standard rollers going back in.

Next step - build a flywheel.

dave swanson

Postby dave swanson » Thu Jul 28, 2022 4:46 pm

Flywheels together. Truing has begun. Now that rough true is complete the dial indicators will come out.

dave swanson

Postby fiftysevenXL » Sat Aug 06, 2022 11:18 pm

Hi Dave - Where did you source your Allstate Dirtman tires? Their website doesn't seem to show any purchase/ordering information. Thanks for any info you might have.
fiftysevenXL

Postby dave swanson » Sun Aug 07, 2022 8:43 am

fiftysevenXL wrote:Hi Dave - Where did you source your Allstate Dirtman tires? Their website doesn't seem to show any purchase/ordering information. Thanks for any info you might have.

I got them from Lowbrow a couple years ago, but they don't carry them now it seems. They do have the Bates line and they look quite close.
dave swanson

Postby Ferrous_Head » Sun Aug 07, 2022 9:18 am

Send them an email. They sell them hetre in Oz but should be in the US as well.

[email protected]
"I know only too well the evil that I propose, but my inclinations get the better of me."
Ferrous_Head

Postby dave swanson » Sun Aug 07, 2022 9:51 am

The Bates seem to be a good repro of a repro. :D
dave swanson

Postby dave swanson » Sat Aug 27, 2022 4:03 pm

I was tested by this set of flywheels. Normally I can true a set of wheels over a period of a few hours at the most. This set just wouldn't come into true. After too long fighting with it I decided to take the wheels apart and here is what I found. A significant portion of the crank pin threads had cracked off and fell apart when I took the nuts off. They were torqued to spec, 150 ft lb.

This was a NOS complete rod set from old Dixie Distributing stock; rods, crank pin, nuts, rollers and cages. My assumption is that there was an error made at heat treat and they were made too hard and not tempered properly.

I purchased a new USA made Jim's crank pin and Jim's crank pin nuts. I had to lap the rod races since the Jim's crank pin was ground .001 larger than the Dixie pin. The wheels were much easier to true this time. I am thinking that the Dixie pin may have not had the taper ground exactly right either, making it impossible to true correctly.

I was happy as hell to move beyond the flywheels finally!

dave swanson

PreviousNext

Return to Restoration Stories