Won’t idle

Production K Models

Re: Won’t idle

Postby wz507 » Fri Dec 02, 2022 9:25 am

Otis wrote:When you say all the drillings do you mean all the plugs needle holes etc. but not the main inlet where the air cleaner bolts to and outlet for intake manifold or do they need to be capped also?

I am likely misunderstanding you, but believe you are asking whether the main bore of the carb needs to be sealed at the ends, and the answer is no.

You are trying to isolate just the idle circuit passages/galleys, then applying low pressure air to said passages so all leakage paths can be observed via bubbling. If the upper end of the main well is not sealed with clay (where main nozzle penetrates carb bore, and where correction air for the main circuit bleeds into the well), all air will escape upwards through these openings and no telltale bubbling on the lower end of the main stem will occur. And bubbles escaping on the lower end of the stem is what allows you to determine if in fact you have a connection between the idle circuit and the fuel source, and whether the idle needle is capable of shutting off this connection.
wz507

Postby Otis » Fri Dec 02, 2022 11:54 am

That was my question, the main bore. I will test the carburetor and let you know the results. I looked for a passage diagram online but didn’t find exactly what I needed. Harley manuals have excellent diagrams for tillotson and bendix carbs but not the Linkert. I believe your information should be adequate for me. Thanks for the help.
Otis

Postby Otis » Fri Dec 02, 2022 5:53 pm

Everything is clear and the LS needle cuts all flow off. Unfortunately last night cleaned the carburetor in an ultrasonic cleaner again, this time very thoroughly. In hindsight I should have tested before I cleaned it so I’d know if this was my problem. It almost has to be corrected and ok now.
Otis

Postby panic » Fri Dec 02, 2022 10:34 pm

Harley manuals have excellent diagrams for tillotson and bendix carbs but not the Linkert

Every H-D manual 1929 until shovelhead (D, R, W, G, V, U, K, and 1936-65 big twin) has Linkert diagrams and instructions.
[url="http://victorylibrary.com/L-BK.htm"]The Linkert Book[/url]
panic

Previous

Return to K, KK, KH, KHK