12V generator / alternator for 1956KHK?

Production K Models

12V generator / alternator for 1956KHK?

Postby ClintsMotorcycles » Mon Mar 13, 2023 10:21 am

Hello,

I searched the forums and did not find what I was looking for.

I have a 1956KHK. Stock 6V generator. I am interesting in converting it to a 12V system and was looking at several 12V generator and alternator conversion kits. I saw some 12V alternator conversion kits but none of the ones that I found say that they will work for a model K, although some say that they would work for a 1957 Ironhead. What would be the difference fitment wise between a 1957 XL and a Model K, because some other suppliers indicate that the 6V generators are the same?

I just like brighter lights when driving a night and the wider availability of 12V bulbs. My plan would be save all the original parts and put them back on the bike when it comes time to sell.

Thanks for any tips.
ClintsMotorcycles

Re: 12V generator / alternator for 1956KHK?

Postby Rubone » Mon Mar 13, 2023 10:46 am

ClintsMotorcycles wrote:Hello,

I searched the forums and did not find what I was looking for.

I have a 1956KHK. Stock 6V generator. I am interesting in converting it to a 12V system and was looking at several 12V generator and alternator conversion kits. I saw some 12V alternator conversion kits but none of the ones that I found say that they will work for a model K, although some say that they would work for a 1957 Ironhead. What would be the difference fitment wise between a 1957 XL and a Model K, because some other suppliers indicate that the 6V generators are the same?

I just like brighter lights when driving a night and the wider availability of 12V bulbs. My plan would be save all the original parts and put them back on the bike when it comes time to sell.

Thanks for any tips.

It would bolt on, you need to use the K drive gear.
Rubone

Postby 44UL » Mon Mar 13, 2023 3:37 pm

To each their own, but I always question when people feel like they have to switch to 12v.

The brightness of your lights depends on a nice, well cared for reflector (in a non-sealed beam), proper candlepower bulbs, and properly functioning charging system with good grounds.
I have found 6v LED bulbs for my knucklehead/bigtwin flatheads. Haven't looked for K or Sporty headlamps.

Yes, 6V bulbs are getting harder to find on the road, but there is this thing called the internet where you can order a small amount of them to have on hand.
Same with batteries, with the lack of shops stocking anything related to vintage bikes, it's such a great idea to have a spare because they always go out at a bad time!

The alternator you might be mentioning isn't a great fix either, not in the long run. If i remember right, they backload the cam chest gears and make things wear funny. I have a few friends that have had broken timer gears on big twins using them.

You can run a later 12V 65A generator I believe or get a gen/reg combo from Cycle Electric or even have you original rebuilt to 12V.

Anyway, I know everyone has opinions...so there's mine haha. I will back them up and say that I have many original 1940's Harleys that I ride regularly with original wiring, 6v systems, etc and have been great for many years. I ride a 47 Servicar almost daily year round.

The only deviation I enjoy is getting rid of the battery all together and going to magnetos, I love them.
62 KR, 54 KHRM, ‘61 XLR, ‘68 XLR, original paint ‘59 CH, several 60 and 61 CH’s, two original ‘47 Servicars, 44 UL, 48 UL, 48 WL race bike(40 rwhp) 51 WR, original 68 XLCH, 65 Topper, Japanese Rikuo. Always interested in buying KR, KHRM, and XLR parts
44UL

Postby ClintsMotorcycles » Mon Mar 13, 2023 6:52 pm

Thanks for the reply.

I have a 1947 UL, 1961 FLH and a 1941 Chief. I have converted them all to 12V, saving the original parts for whenever and have been more than pleased with them. I put in a different oil bag on the Harley's so that I more modern 12V battery would fit (not one of those mini batteries) and doing that was a major plus. The OEM battery for the chief was already a large one, so getting a 12V battery that would fit was easier.

Good tip regarding the magneto. I considered it for my other vintage bikes but never bit the bullet with them. I will think about it for my KHK.
ClintsMotorcycles

Return to K, KK, KH, KHK