How to mount Trumpet Horn for 56 KHK??

Production K Models

Re: How to mount Trumpet Horn for 56 KHK??

Postby starcain » Wed Feb 10, 2021 6:58 pm

The bracket is 1-1/32" tall from the outside surface of the backing plate to the tops of the two radius bends. The material is 3/32" thick. The hole spacing is 2-1/8". The nut is 5/16" 24 centered in the hole and tac welded.

The Palmer book is just wrong about the air cleaner screw. I wouldn't put much faith in that book regarding K Models. The parts books can also have misinformation but for the most part are a reliable source. I've been fooling with K Models since 1974. Have restored a '53 KK, '54 KH and for the last couple years have been the new caretaker of an original 1956 KHK. If you haven't seen them they are all three in the gallery section of this website. The '53 and '54 are under Stan Diener and the '56 is under Roger Meinke. Roger was a previous owner but I am now the current caretaker of it. The point to all this is that it's tough to weed through the information and misinformation out there regarding K Models. You have to decide which source you are comfortable in believing. There are good books and there are bad books. Knowledgeable people and not so much. I have been involved in a fair amount of research on K's but never claim to know it all. I probably have forgotten more then I would care to admit.

Back to the 2402C screw. The parts book shows a slot head screw, the 1956 accessories catalog shows a slot head screw, my original '56 KHK has a slot head screw. A slot head screw is correct. If you think about it, what could be a better source of correct information then an original motorcycle to look at? With the exception of the pillion pad and a few pieces that got chromed (now replaced) it's a pretty darn good example of original.

Stan
Attachments
1.jpg
1.jpg (129.02 KiB) Viewed 4195 times
2.jpg
2.jpg (130.77 KiB) Viewed 4195 times
3.jpg
3.jpg (119.4 KiB) Viewed 4195 times
starcain

Postby ClintsMotorcycles » Wed Feb 10, 2021 8:43 pm

Thanks. I appreciate the reply and the explanation. I am convinced that the slotted head screw is correct. Which means, I guess, that it is a one year only part (LOL!!).
I am new to the K bikes but have been into bikes since the mid 60's. If I had kept the bikes that I had 'customized' or the parts that I just threw out I could open up a parts shop and be a gazillion-aire.

I am going to have to fabricate the bracket and based upon your pictures and measurements, I should be able to do that.

In doing some further investigation, I think the back plate that was on the bike was from an early Ironhead and is probably aftermarket. I will just keep it on the shelf in case I need it one day.

Thanks again.
ClintsMotorcycles

Postby JerrryR » Wed Feb 10, 2021 9:35 pm

My take on what HD did with parts and part numbers is if the newer different part would work in place of the earlier part, they went with the same part number. I have always been told the slotted air cleaner screw was a one year only for 56. I may have the bracket you need and if you would like I would be willing to ship it to you for you to try copying and then when done send it back. Someone could help me here, my belief is the bracket for the big twin is identical only taller. If you can get one of those you might be able to shorten it. I'm out of town until Monday but I can check then to see if I have the K bracket. Assuming I do send me an address to ship it to if you want to look at it.
JerrryR

Postby strong56KH » Thu Feb 11, 2021 10:06 pm

Colony Machine makes the chrome slotted head screw, stock no. 8212-3, if you can't find one it in your parts bin. Get it from Tom's NOS Parts: https://www.tomsnosparts.com/cgi-bin/db ... ool_op=AND
strong56KH

Previous

Return to K, KK, KH, KHK