How to mount Trumpet Horn for 56 KHK??

Production K Models

How to mount Trumpet Horn for 56 KHK??

Postby ClintsMotorcycles » Tue Feb 09, 2021 7:30 pm

Hello,

I am trying to figure out how to correctly mount the trumpet horn on my 56 KHK.

I have, i think, at least the main parts of the trumpet horn (69003-52 according to my parts manual). In my Palmer's, page 424, it says the horn for a 52-56 , model K is a 69000-52. Not sure which is correct.

Anyway, how does the horn on the left side of the bike mount? I see in my parts manual, there is a bracket (69142-52) along with the nut, bolt and washer. If I need that, how does it connect to the horn and then I assume that it connects somewhere to the bike. Where? If anyone has a picture of how it should be mounted I would really appreciate it.

Thanks
ClintsMotorcycles

Re: How to mount Trumpet Horn for 56 KHK??

Postby JerrryR » Tue Feb 09, 2021 8:01 pm

035 Cropped.jpg
035 Cropped.jpg (113.85 KiB) Viewed 8029 times
JerrryR

Postby ClintsMotorcycles » Tue Feb 09, 2021 8:53 pm

Thanks. This really helps. I have the wrong air cleaner back plate on the carb now. I have several boxes of spares that came with the bike, so, hopefully the correct back plate is in one of them.

Also, it looks like that bracket is welded to the back plate. Kinda strange since it is listed as a separate part.

Thanks again.
ClintsMotorcycles

Postby JerrryR » Tue Feb 09, 2021 9:24 pm

I need a little help here myself. I have an NOS 56 Backing Plate I just went and looked at, it is welded like in the previous image. My recollection was that they were riveted on but I don't have an earlier plate at my current location to check. The image provided here is from the 56PB and it just shows the horn bracket as a 52-54 part which would fit if it was riveted on for those years?

K Horn Trumpet 56PB.jpg
K Horn Trumpet 56PB.jpg (55.63 KiB) Viewed 7975 times
JerrryR

Postby ClintsMotorcycles » Tue Feb 09, 2021 10:07 pm

You are an astute observer. Now that I look at my PB (again), I see where that bracket is a 52-54 part (it is called a 'horn clip').

When I look at the same PB for the air cleaner, the pictures for the variants (29002-56, 29020-52) show the clip as part of the back plate. I cannot tell from the pictures what the difference(s) are between the 2 back plates. The -52 part is listed for the 52-55 while the -56 is listed for the 56KH.

So, if the parts manual shows the horn clip as being part of the carb back plate for all years of the model K, then why is it listed as a separate part?

And, does anyone know what the difference is between the 29002-52 and 29002-56.
ClintsMotorcycles

Postby JerrryR » Tue Feb 09, 2021 11:04 pm

Look in your early parts books at the -52 backing plate, it has rivets sticking out of its' sides for the twist on air cleaner cover used 52-55. In 55 they went to the screw on cover like used on the XL models. On another note if I have this right the 56K screw used to hold the air cleaner cover on was a slotted screw, not a Philips head.
JerrryR

Postby starcain » Wed Feb 10, 2021 3:21 am

The early 29020-52 cover backing plate has the riveted on horn clip. My "56 OP KHK also has the welded on horn clip. They must have realized by 1956 that the early clips were breaking off at the rivets. If they started welding the clips on in 1955 you would think there would have to be an early style backing plate with the rivets for the J slot that had a welded on horn clip. I don't think I have ever noticed one like that but still very well could be, or another parts book screwup. Also the OP '56 has a slot head screw for the air cleaner cover. Anyone have an original '55 K Model that they could look at their backing plate. Is it J Slot with welded clip or J Slot with riveted clip? The parts book shows the same 29020--52 for '52 to '55 and 29020-56 for 1956 only.
Attachments
29020-52.jpg
29020-52.jpg (153.85 KiB) Viewed 7921 times
Slot Head Screw.jpg
Slot Head Screw.jpg (112.6 KiB) Viewed 7921 times
starcain

Postby ClintsMotorcycles » Wed Feb 10, 2021 9:01 am

I need to get better at looking at the parts book. Yes, you are correct, the earlier K's had the J slot air cleaner cover cover while the 56 had a cover secured by a slotted screw (2402C). The air cleaner back plate that I found in my box of spares is correct for my 56. Why, the PO had a different back plate on the bike is unknown, although the one that I have is painted black and I think it should be parkerized.

However, the screw that secures the air cleaner cover to the back plate on my bike is a phillips. And, I see where it should be a slotted countersunk.

Is there any significance to the trailing "C" (2402C) on the part number for that screw? Does that mean it is chrome plated or cadium? It looks from the picture that yours is stainless steel.
ClintsMotorcycles

Postby starcain » Wed Feb 10, 2021 10:14 am

Yes the air cleaner backing plates should be parkerized. The air cleaner cover screw is chrome. In this case a person might think that the C suffix stands for chrome but I don't think so. The reason being is that the horn cover screw 2204W and the fender strut screws 2414W are also chrome but have a W suffix. There are several other screws and bolts listed in the parts book that have a W suffix. The 4372W bolt in the PB is called out as cad. The bottom line is I don't really have any idea what the letter designations mean. If anyone knows I would love to hear it.
starcain

Postby ClintsMotorcycles » Wed Feb 10, 2021 1:29 pm

Thanks for the reply. Can you post a picture of the air cleaner cover mounting bracket (29049-56) please and if you can give me the dimensions it would be super as I am probably going to have to fabricate it. I found a supplier in the EU that has one or more in stock, but they say they will not send it outside the EU.

The backing plate that was on the bike is the wrong one, so, the mounting bracket that I have is wrong as well and will not work with the correct backing plate. I do not know what bike the incorrect mounting bracket is from. The air cleaner cover is also the wrong one (obviously aftermarket), but, I found a correct one in a box of parts that I had laying around.

The slotted screw (2402C) still confuses me. When I look at my Palmer's it says that for 1956 that screw should be a phillips, but there is no part number provided. Granted, Palmer's barely references the model K, but you would think that Harley would have the same screw for all of the 1956 models. The PB obviously shows it as a slotted screw. However, when I google for Harley 2402C, the pictures that I see are for a phillips screw. I am going to go with how the PB shows it, but it kind of shows that you cannot rely on what part number a seller of parts says it is. Either the seller is wrong, the PB is wrong, Palmer's is wrong, Harley has the same part number for both types of screws or who knows who is wrong. While I will probably never show my bike, I might as well put it back together correctly.
ClintsMotorcycles

Next

Return to K, KK, KH, KHK