Transmission drain and oil level plugs?

Production K Models

Transmission drain and oil level plugs?

Postby ClintsMotorcycles » Wed Feb 24, 2021 11:07 am

Hello,

56KHK.

I recently bought this bike and have been going through it (oil changes, timing, rear chain replacement, brake adjustments, painting the jugs, ....).

In reading the 'Rider's Hand Book' which came with the bike (although I am not at all sure it is for my 1956 bike), I see where there is a transmission oil drain plug and a transmission oil level plug.

I see those parts in my parts manual (34745-52, 6218W and 3720) but my parts manual does not show the description of what those parts are for some reason. According to my Rider's Hand Book, I am supposed to remove the drain plug (34725-52), drain all the oil, put the drain plug back in, then remove the oil level plug (3720), remove the oil plug on the primary cover, fill it up with oil (about 1.5 pints) until oil drains out of the transmission oil level plug, then put that plug back in as well as the primary oil plug and all is well with the world.

I can see from the picture in the parts manual that the oil level plug sticks up into the tranny (by how much I do not know) and I would assume that it is hollow. The intent being that when the oil level is too full, it will drain out until it becomes just right.

Anyway, on my bike all I have is a single plug on the bottom of my tranny, like the plug that you use to drain oil from the crankcase. There is no tranny oil level plug. Not sure if there is supposed to be one for a 1956 bike. Is there?

Regardless, since I do not have a tranny oil level plug and cannot find one anywhere via google, is there is some easy way to check the oil level in the tranny? If not, would it be reasonable to just drain the tranny with the plug out for an hour or so to get every last drop out, then put the plug back in and add 1.5 pints through the primary plug?

Is there any danger to overfilling the tranny?
ClintsMotorcycles

Re: Transmission drain and oil level plugs?

Postby starcain » Wed Feb 24, 2021 11:41 am

It sounds like you have a 1952 Riders Hand Book. The oil level drain plug 34745-52 was only used on the 1952 and 1953 models. Your '56 would use a standard drain plug like used for the crankcase. The oil level for the KH and KHK transmissions and primary is determined by the overflow plug 3728 in the side of the 34951-54 primary cover used on the KHs. Stand the bike up straight and pour oil in the primary filler hole until it starts running out of the overflow hole. You may consider getting a 1955 Riders Hand Book. The books are very similar but the '55 does have some specific information on the KHs that the 1952 book doesn't have.

If any interest, here is a link to some information on the early oil level drain plug 34745-52.

viewtopic.php?f=8&t=709&p=5064&hilit=transmission+drain+plug#p5064
starcain

Postby ClintsMotorcycles » Wed Feb 24, 2021 12:36 pm

Thanks, I agree. I have been reading the wrong Rider's Hand Book. I have a reprint of the handbook that is in fairly good condition but is, as you point out for the wrong year of my bike. I do have the original handbook that came with the bike, but is in very poor condition and I have avoided taking it out of the pouch that it came in because I was told that the reprint was for the original manual. I just looked at the original manual it describes the oil drain and oil level plugs that match my bike.

I do not know what parts manual I have. The manual that I have has a picture of a K model engine on the cover that is in a light orange background. It says "Parts Manual for all "K" models, 1952 through 1956". On the inside front cover, it says "Prices Revised to February 1, 1956" but I do not see any kind of publication number.

The engine pictured on the front cover does not match my bike as there is no transmission oil drain plug shown and the air cleaner cover is a J-Slot type.

The service manual that I have been referring to is a factory one for a 1959 to 1969 which is obviously not correct for my bike, but it is helpful. (part number 99484-69). I bought the service manual years ago when I had an old Ironhead.
ClintsMotorcycles

Postby starcain » Wed Feb 24, 2021 1:43 pm

Sounds like you have the correct reprinted or reproduction parts manual. They just used a stock photo of an early K motor to put on the cover. It's often helpful to look at later parts manuals because sometimes they will show something that the '56 manual omitted or had incorrect. You can access all the parts manuals from 1953 to 1969 in the literature section under Spare Parts Catalogs.
starcain

Return to K, KK, KH, KHK