Fuel Filters for K models

Production K Models

Fuel Filters for K models

Postby k1rider » Sun Oct 31, 2021 11:39 am

My first post here.

I am in the process of returning a 1952 K back to the road after a long (10-12 years) slumber. The bike was stored indoors, engine is not stuck, it has spark, and appears to have very slowly drained the fuel in the tank into the carb over time where that fuel would ultimately evaporate leaving a substantial amount of varnish in the bottom of the carb bowl, jets, and main nozzle (emulsion tube). With a lot of patience and chemical cleaners I was able to remove the main nozzle and its retaining spring.

I have not yet removed the tank for cleaning but the view through the cap is very good, no rust that I can see. My question: Would the 1952 K have any kind of fuel filter in the system? From what I can see so far, the only place that I can imagine one would be in the tank somehow. If a stock K has no filter how would one go about adding one?

Another question. Will the wet clutch need to be disassembled to free it up? I have not yet tried very hard to free it by rocking back and forth in gear with the lever pulled. I hope that will work, but a decade of clutch return springs squeezing the oil out the friction plates may make that impossible.

Any other suggestions and cautions about this project of recommissioning this K would be appreciated.

Thanks.
k1rider

Re: Fuel Filters for K models

Postby jOe » Sun Oct 31, 2021 2:26 pm

I don’t recall ever seeing a fuel filter with the metal fuel tubing set up. It’s possible, depending where you want to go with the project. Pull that clutch and inspect, clean or replace.
I’m just finishing up a ‘62 that was sitting idle for 42 years- all sorts of weirdness happens over time. Don’t assume that the last hands that worked on it did everything right.
jOe

Postby Rubone » Wed Nov 03, 2021 7:13 pm

The filter is a screen soldered to the top of the petcock, inside the tank.
Rubone

Postby jOe » Wed Nov 03, 2021 8:32 pm

Yup. Was there an oil filter for K Models that fit on the solid oil line?
jOe

Return to K, KK, KH, KHK