KHK, KK, and KH cams visual comparison

Production K Models

Re: KHK, KK, and KH cams visual comparison

Postby Tim The Grim » Wed Oct 26, 2022 11:23 pm

These are supposed to be an “A” grind which I was told was the same as the KHK.

My #3 is broader than the previously pictured KHK so I guess maybe it’s not an “A” grind and something else.

Back in ‘74…
We had a guy bring in a ‘56KHRM for a rebuild and it had “mushroom” cams. To a KHK owner they were “Holy Grail” stuff.
Just holding them was fascinating. He defaulted on his bill and the owner of the shop said I could have the cams in exchange for my good KHK set. The guy was waiting outside the shop when I opened up the next morning with payment in full. He got his motor with his cams. The shop went bankrupt 3 weeks later.
54KHK (Current Build),2013 XL1200V “72” Hard Candy, 97 Honda Valkyrie
Tim The Grim

Postby starcain » Thu Oct 27, 2022 8:49 am

Here's a side by side picture of the KR and KK/KHK cams. They are definitely different in my opinion.
What's a mushroom cam?
Attachments
KK-KHK-KR Compare_edited-1.jpg
KK-KHK-KR Compare_edited-1.jpg (465.82 KiB) Viewed 16293 times
starcain

Postby Anthony » Sun Oct 30, 2022 8:43 pm

Well shoot. I had a chance to get back out to the shop to take a look at those “KK”cams, and regardless of the fact that they’re in a bag labeled as such, they’re just not KK cams. What’s peculiar though is that they also don’t have a K profile - they’re pointier. The best I can come up with is that someone had them reground for reasons that we’ll never understand. Ah well. I’m still on the lookout for some KHK or KK cams, so if anyone has some that they’d like to part with someday, I’d be interested.
Anthony

Postby panic » Mon Oct 31, 2022 11:21 am

Regrind: has reduced base circle.
It can be done, but I've never seen one.
[url="http://victorylibrary.com/L-BK.htm"]The Linkert Book[/url]
panic

Postby Rubone » Mon Oct 31, 2022 5:55 pm

Anthony wrote:Well shoot. I had a chance to get back out to the shop to take a look at those “KK”cams, and regardless of the fact that they’re in a bag labeled as such, they’re just not KK cams. What’s peculiar though is that they also don’t have a K profile - they’re pointier. The best I can come up with is that someone had them reground for reasons that we’ll never understand. Ah well. I’m still on the lookout for some KHK or KK cams, so if anyone has some that they’d like to part with someday, I’d be interested.

How about a picture of them? They could be KRM cams for flat tappets if they are pointy but flat on the ends.
Rubone

Postby 44UL » Tue Nov 01, 2022 1:59 am

Anthony, i think at this point i would highly suggest talking with Justin Leinweber or Bruce from Enfield(i have used a lot of both, but Justin is almost half the price and easier to work with) and cut off your K lobes and put some KHK lobes on.

Regrinds aren’t a big difference as you can’t take too much off the base circle because you need it for thrust. I used some Freebus ones in a Ul that i rode a lot and couldn’t tell a difference in the seat. Justin has done some for me but haven’t used them yet.

I have done this on a bunch of lobe swaps on WL and UL engines, no K’s yet. I am interested in seeing what’s inside my original 54 KHRM once i get the engine apart.
62 KR, 54 KHRM, ‘61 XLR, ‘68 XLR, original paint ‘59 CH, several 60 and 61 CH’s, two original ‘47 Servicars, 44 UL, 48 UL, 48 WL race bike(40 rwhp) 51 WR, original 68 XLCH, 65 Topper, Japanese Rikuo. Always interested in buying KR, KHRM, and XLR parts
44UL

Postby Tim The Grim » Tue Nov 01, 2022 10:46 pm

Starcain…The “ mushroom “ cams had upper profiles that were wider than the base circle. The transition from the base circle to the acceleration ramp was a concave radius only slightly bigger than that of a lifter roller and then a convex radius up to a top profile not much different from the KR “J” shown previously.
Panic describes some with a “ kidney bean “ profile and the ones I held seemed more like mushrooms or a floodlight bulb.
They had ball bearing shafts.
Joe Cardillo (Joe the Beatnick) the custom painter, had a street legal KR and had a couple different cam sets. According to him the mushrooms were not streetable and insanely noisy. Me being 21 and dumb, I still wanted a set. Never got any.

The cams in my pics above came out of a shop in Springfield Missouri back in the ‘90s. No info other than straight shaft KR cams. Maybe an “A” grind. I paid $325 and I’m not complaining.
54KHK (Current Build),2013 XL1200V “72” Hard Candy, 97 Honda Valkyrie
Tim The Grim

Previous

Return to K, KK, KH, KHK