Are Duplicate K Model Engine Numbers Possible?

Production K Models

Re: Are Duplicate K Model Engine Numbers Possible?

Postby panic » Sun Dec 04, 2022 7:51 pm

For my own amusement, I once wrote a lengthy comment on the detection of a fraudulent VIN. Surprise: the Nassau County Police have their own unimpeachable fount of information: the NATB (the one with the mistakes).

It's certainly preferable to have CA DMV believe that your VIN is real, but what would AMC judges say...?

I don't think anything will happen, but imagine the "other" bike being reported stolen, used as collateral for a loan, or left to an heir under Probate law?

If I kill my wife and don't get caught, is it a crime?
[url="http://victorylibrary.com/L-BK.htm"]The Linkert Book[/url]
panic

Re: Are Duplicate K Model Engine Numbers Possible?

Postby EKHKHK56 » Mon Nov 20, 2023 7:46 am

Yeah, no. No twins born at H-D. But new dealer ordered replacement cases or case halves were legally stamped vin with Factory stamp sets by dealer. Before releasing or selling the damaged original case with factory vin intact I believe the dealer was supposed to destroy them or cut off vin or whatever to keep it out of the loop. Not sure exactly what the policy was. Ok boss, will do…So it gets thrown aside, in the K scrap pile…later to be repaired, sold as “original” with good numbers, resurrected from the dead as an Evil Twin. The replacement cases I had collected would only have 2 belly numbers, as in perhaps the sequential replacement case number assigned to it. Had many. So if vin looks perfect, the belly #s are next to check out. If it’s two or three digits definitely replacement case production #. Ideally original belly numbers will look very similar in spacing, etc, like stamped by one guy at same time same place, like his signature. Yes race teams in the 50s 60s had several spare engines built and ready with the #s stamped on them of the original bike motor. Yes people didn’t like to throw things away back then so some case halves were often renumbered to recycle them as a “part” to repair a legit motor needing such. Pad height is the indicator for vin removal and restamp. Or welding/machining evidence on pad or belly. You can tell easily as the welding leaves evidence, along with lack of original texture etc. I would say the Real K is the one with the best belly stampings. The KR engine situation with duplicates really came to light when racers started selling off. Hey I just found a Black Bart KR engine for sale…Which one? Became the std question that was soon attached to these 80s 90s sales. All the bigger teams did it, be prepared. It’s an issue for sure, nobody wants a headache like that these days! Especially risk of buying a hot bike etc unknowingly. I would guess all Ks have been stolen at least twice, at some point…I hope you get this settled OK, Erik
EKHKHK56

Previous

Return to K, KK, KH, KHK