Introduction

Production K Models

Introduction

Postby yard man » Thu Dec 29, 2022 12:58 pm

Hello. Everyone, long time reader first time user . I recently bought a basket case 56 Kh upon closer inspection since I’ve never really messed with iron heads let alone a k model it’s a conglomeration of xl parts with k model cases . At any rate, excited to dive into it, and learn more about what does and doesn’t interchange. Also hoping to find some of the engine parts that are missing. It came with cases, transmission and flywheels but everything else is gone. So if anyone has any cams lifter stools etc they don’t need id Definetly appreciate a chance to find some of these guts. Have a good day, I’ll just be over here in the corner reading the posts.
yard man

Re: Introduction

Postby starcain » Fri Dec 30, 2022 10:54 am

Welcome yard man, are you looking to do an accurate restoration or piece it together with whatever works? I have an original paint 1956 KHK and may be able to help with accurate cosmetic information, i.e. what was used on a 1956 K Model. They only made K Models for 5 years but there are many differences between the years as there were many running changes along the way.

Good luck with your project.

Stan
starcain

Postby wb56 » Fri Dec 30, 2022 12:54 pm

Hello yard man, hope that basket case came with a frame. A nice 56 K model frame is hard to come by. I'm in the process of putting a 56 KH together, but not an orignal by any means. Good luck and keep us posted.
wb56

Postby yard man » Fri Dec 30, 2022 1:22 pm

it didn’t come with a frame, but oddly enough I sold one to a friend about a year ago gonna have to try and get that back.
yard man

Postby yard man » Fri Dec 30, 2022 1:25 pm

starcain wrote:Welcome yard man, are you looking to do an accurate restoration or piece it together with whatever works? I have an original paint 1956 KHK and may be able to help with accurate cosmetic information, i.e. what was used on a 1956 K Model. They only made K Models for 5 years but there are many differences between the years as there were many running changes along the way.

Good luck with your project.

Stan

Thanks, I think for now I would like to go with whatever works and fine tune the details as it gets further along. But will keep the main components as close to correct as possible. (Engine, carburetor, frame, forks, bars and wheels.) Everything else will fall into place with time.
yard man

Postby Jimtoo617 » Fri Dec 30, 2022 2:00 pm

I’m in the same boat, I have a 56 KHK from Evilbay, been collecting parts and tools for a while. Luckily most everything in these is the same as early Sportster, except the obvious Flathead stuff. The back exhaust cam is .100 wider, than Sportster. Enfield Racing has cam lobes to weld on and they’ve got some interesting stuff, like the KH tappet screws, which are longer because the the cylinder is 9/16” taller. Cylinders are really hard to find, lots of other stuff fits across the 52-56 models. Have fun.
Jimtoo617

Postby panic » Fri Dec 30, 2022 8:35 pm

Hi, welcome to the site.
The cams are easily identified as "K" etc. (but exactly which is more complicated, there are many different grinds, this site has the best information): they all have tapered lobes, taller facing you and smaller facing the engine.
The cylinders and heads you're looking for have casting numbers ending in "-54" (not "-52").
If original isn't important, you can use any frame after 1954(?) including iron Sportster through 1969.

Keep us posted as the build goes along.

Happy New Year!
[url="http://victorylibrary.com/L-BK.htm"]The Linkert Book[/url]
panic

Postby Jimtoo617 » Fri Dec 30, 2022 11:10 pm

I like free stuff. Victory has some K model cam chart, there are 70 years of cams out there. http://victorylibrary.com/tech/KR-cam-c.htm
Jimtoo617

Postby yard man » Sat Dec 31, 2022 1:49 am

panic wrote:Hi, welcome to the site.
The cams are easily identified as "K" etc. (but exactly which is more complicated, there are many different grinds, this site has the best information): they all have tapered lobes, taller facing you and smaller facing the engine.
The cylinders and heads you're looking for have casting numbers ending in "-54" (not "-52").
If original isn't important, you can use any frame after 1954(?) including iron Sportster through 1969.

Keep us posted as the build goes along.

Happy New Year!

Thanks! Will do. Will a later K motor fit in an earlier frame? I.E. a 52 - 53 frame?
yard man

Postby 44UL » Sat Dec 31, 2022 12:36 pm

Welcome! Being tall, i prefer the early frames and shocks because the neck is lower which makes the bike taller. It’s one thing i did not like about the 56 khk i had.

I don’t see why you couldn’t use one. Just have to get creative with the top motormount, but my original’54 KHRM is the later engine in the early style frame from the factory.
62 KR, 54 KHRM, ‘61 XLR, ‘68 XLR, original paint ‘59 CH, several 60 and 61 CH’s, two original ‘47 Servicars, 44 UL, 48 UL, 48 WL race bike(40 rwhp) 51 WR, original 68 XLCH, 65 Topper, Japanese Rikuo. Always interested in buying KR, KHRM, and XLR parts
44UL

Next

Return to K, KK, KH, KHK