Butchered k model frame

All things K & Sportster

Butchered k model frame

Postby jarlenfos » Fri May 26, 2023 12:17 am

G'day guys,
I have a butchered K model frame that came to me as part of an ironhead project. The motor is a 70 XLCH but the frame is a hard tailed K model frame. Most identifying features have been cut off or boxed in. One thing is for sure is that it has the version 9 re-raked 52 neck described in the bulletin. I can see faint remnants of a number stamped into the front right down tube. Obviously this was not a place that was stamped from the factory. I suspect somebody previously had stamped their VIN from engine into the frame. The number is 55--168X. I can clearly make out the last 4 digits but not the "--" model designation. As far as I am aware some of the 55 models did have that 54 neck with the version 9 re-raked profile consistent with it being a 55.

The whole reason I am going down this road is to try and figure out the full VIN number that was stamped into the frame as that will need to be the number used for registration here in Australia. It's illegal for me to stamp the frame obviously and if it's ever X-rayed this number will show up. Which does happen. Obviously pre-70 frames didn't have VINs on the frame but I will need to register this as a 55 K/KHK. I know the first 2 digits and the last 4 the only thing missing is the model designation I suspect it would likely be 55KH168X. Were there any differentiating features of the KHK models that would help me confirm? This is not my wheelhouse and I know nothing of K models really so forgive my ignorance. Is it likely this frame could have come with anything other then a KH?

This is what I do know.
- It has what looks to be the 52 reraked neck with the version 9 profile used in 54/55
- Peg mounts are solid, the hole in the rear of the stand mount is casted over
- Has weep holes on the rear motor mount casting above the bolt holes
- It does not have the reinforced down tubes
- All tubing is mild steel not chrome moly

Cheers.
jarlenfos

Re: Butchered k model frame

Postby Ferrous_Head » Fri May 26, 2023 1:43 am

I might be able to help you a little bit with this.

Technically speaking any imported vehicle into Australia requires a VIA, (Vehicle Import Authority) and they are issued by the Department of Infrastructure, Transport, Regional Development, Communications and the Arts. Now there are pf course exceptions as vehicles that have been stored In Australia and were imported many years ago)[prior to the current rules implemented in the early 80's, are still in existence.

What you need to do is explain to the Department of Infrastructure, Transport, Regional Development, Communications and the Arts how you came by this vehicle and why it hasn't 't appeared on the database before now. It's still a reasonably common situation with "vintage: vehicles.

The "Department" is a Commonwealth body and you have to deal with your state for registration. But the Department should help, they sent me a letter accepting my explanation.

On the front of the frame tube is a boss designed as a "safety hoop" mount, (crash bars). Ut;s the ideal place for a VIN stamp. I actually made an alloy plate to perfectly fit there and stamped my engine umber into that plate. Paint it black to match the frame, wipe a little white paint in there to make it more readable.

When you have your letter from the Department of Infrastructure, Transport, Regional Development, Communications and the Arts make an appointment with your local DMV to have the vehicle inspected. It has to ho over the pits as a first time registration.

The VIN number stamped in has to be unique and it will be if you use your engine number. That was a common system "back in the day." There is no requirement for 13 or 17 digit VIN numbers. If it does not have a number stamped somewhere on the frame they will issue a number and you have to have that stamped on the frame. But they will use what's on there if you point it out to them.

That gives you a legal, numbers matching bike. If you use an engine prior to 1972 toy do not need to comply with any of the ADR's.
You must have a "dipping" headlight, a working tail lamp and brake light and a working horn.

If you live in the heart of one of our major cities they can be harder to deal with than regional centres.

Key points. You have to deal with the state government for registration but the Department of Infrastructure, Transport, Regional Development, Communications and the Arts should be able to help.
There are no standards relating to VIN numbers on bikes that never had them. They will generally accept any number stamped into the frame. If it matches the engine they are unlikely to question anything.

If you imported these parts and are attempting to assemble a bike form bits here in Australia under no circumstances tell anyone that. They can confiscate it and destroy it.
"I know only too well the evil that I propose, but my inclinations get the better of me."
Ferrous_Head

Postby jarlenfos » Fri May 26, 2023 3:30 am

Hey Ferrous,
Thanks for the input.
You made a good point there that I actually hadn't considered, that number on the frame will be a duplicate of another bike with the same engine number. Although likely it will end up in Australia and be flagged I am indeed better off with a unique number like my engine number. I am not too fussed about getting these numbers in the system so to speak as this bike will be registered under our club and will only need a pink slip (NSW) for rego. Considering the motor is a 70 too I should be good with the ADR side of things.

There's no way if they inspected this bike it would pass. Especially with the hard tail so I think keeping it on club will be my best option.

That's a good idea adding a plate with the number on the frame though. I'll keep that one under my belt for the next time I have to go full rego.
jarlenfos

Postby Ferrous_Head » Fri May 26, 2023 9:57 am

OK, the frame you have (if it is indeed pre 1970, never ever actually had a frame number on it. Not a "factory" one at any rate.

It is illegal to destroy or modify a VIN number on a frame if one was attached from the factory or allocated via a DMV in any state.

But as the frame didn't have a number there is nothing stopping you from adding one. I didn't realise you could ride a bike under those conditions on the red plate scheme. I've never used the red plate scheme. Butt I have used the method I outlined to you to have a 66 XLCH placed on to the database. Possibly the only "numbers matching" Ironhead in Australia.

I'm fairly familiar with the requirements for getting bikes into Australia. If you ever want to go down that route (bringing a bike in) shoot me an email and I'll help where I can.

Cheers
"I know only too well the evil that I propose, but my inclinations get the better of me."
Ferrous_Head

Return to General K / Sportster Discussions