Mud catcher

All things K & Sportster

Mud catcher

Postby No side stand » Fri Apr 17, 2020 12:28 am

HI. I have a rim that Im hoping some one might be able to identify. The part number is 250C /19/42998/74. Originally I thought it may have been a 74 XLCH front but Ive always been into big twins so I had to resort to a quick google search. The pictures only showed steel rimmed bikes and couldn't find a picture with a alloy rimmed 74 XLCH.
Maybe 74 XR??
No side stand

Re: Mud catcher

Postby riverdog » Fri Apr 17, 2020 1:51 am

Hi Amigo, your rim is off a mid 70s Sportster, I have a link to a discussion about these rims from another forum thatll tell you the whole story.
Harley had a deal with Goodyear on those years to have them make safety bead tires for their drop centre Borrini taper bead rims.
Here is the link, itll tell you the whole story

https://www.jockeyjournal.com/forum/sho ... hp?t=22085

I have a 75 XLH that I took the wheels off and replaced with some NOS Morris rims I found on ebay because of this issue
Bob
riverdog

Postby No side stand » Fri Apr 17, 2020 2:47 am

Thanks Riverdog.
Interesting read. He writes well and seems well versed in his subject which leaves me with a lovely rim I cant use :cry:
Thanks again.
No side stand

Postby Lisa » Fri Apr 17, 2020 8:25 am

Bike Show Wilmington Mass 011.JPG
Bike Show Wilmington Mass 011.JPG (172.34 KiB) Viewed 8359 times
I had Coker replica Firestone tires balanced with Counteract on those rims on my 69 CH and had NO problems at all my rims were drilled and screwed at bead, bike had 12 K original miles on it and rode smooth at all speeds = who drilled the holes ? But again if you drive your ride properly I don't think you will have any problems with these rims with Firestone replica tires. I didn't. Just saying. My opinion.
Lisa

Postby Lisa » Fri Apr 17, 2020 8:41 am

My 69 wet sumped also with only 12K miles on it until I removed the pump and modified it now the oil stay's in the tank where it belongs and start's easier with no mess on the floor to clean up. Don't know if you can see it but it has an O ring chain on it also to run clean and also valve seals installed to prevent oil consumption. Just saying.
Lisa

Postby Ferrous_Head » Fri Apr 17, 2020 4:41 pm

Harley's TM profile rims were an attempt by HD to "force" owners into buying tires from their "preferred" suppliers.

If you actually look at the specs for Taper Bead rims (TM is the profile designation) you will see there is no practicle difference between this profile and the standard WM profiles.

You can fit any tyre you like as long as you remain within the recommendations given by the rim manufacturers as to acceptable sized.

Obviously you can only fit 19" tires to 19" rims but as long as you use a tire "around" 300/350 on the front and 450/510 on the back your good to go.

Modern tires tend o be wider and you run into clearance problems with fenders etc if you attempt to go to wide.

I have an original 74 XLH with less than 5,000 miles on it and it still has the original tires. Still has original factory air in them although I have "topped it up".

Keep the tims - run whatever tires take your fancy. I prefer Avon's on my race bikes.
"I know only too well the evil that I propose, but my inclinations get the better of me."
Ferrous_Head

Return to General K / Sportster Discussions