Fuel petcocks

All things K & Sportster

Fuel petcocks

Postby jOe » Thu May 14, 2020 9:06 am

Does anyone have a fix for leaking OEM fuel petcocks?
jOe

Re: Fuel petcocks

Postby jOe » Mon Oct 05, 2020 10:24 pm

I experimented with 2 petcocks, one OEM , one aftermarket. Both were known leakers. I soaked both in Gunk carburetor cleaner with the valves open for a week. Blew out the passages with compressed air. Then I put them in a pot of water and boiled them for 30 minutes and blew them out again. It worked. I installed each on a tank and tested them with gas. No leaks from the nipples, no leaks from the valve shafts.
That’s the results for only two. But it is possible to bring them back to usable condition.
jOe

Re: Fuel petcocks

Postby ClintsMotorcycles » Tue Oct 06, 2020 2:30 am

What usually works for me to clean out carbs, petcocks and various other parts that have crud on them is to put them in an ultrasonic cleaner. I normally use 'simple green' as the cleaning solution and sometimes carb cleaner. Usually there is no need to take the item being cleaned apart, although sometimes that is necessary. After 30 minutes or so, take the part out, dump the cleaning solution (you can often reuse it, so, put it in a container for later), fill the ultrasonic cleaner with fresh water, run it again, take the part out, dry it with compressed air and you will probably be good to go.
ClintsMotorcycles

Return to General K / Sportster Discussions