K model clutch issue

All things K & Sportster

K model clutch issue

Postby nicf » Fri Jan 15, 2021 7:56 pm

Hello everybody. I need some help with my 52 k model. It seems whenever I go to put it in gear while holding the clutch lever down the bike just stalls. I tried adjusting the lever and the nut and set screw on the side of the transmission with no luck. It either stalls when I’m it goes into gear or the bike goes under its own power forward while I still have the clutch lever down. I’m not a mechanic but that’s why I’m here lol. Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks
nicf

Re: K model clutch issue

Postby murph » Fri Jan 15, 2021 8:31 pm

Sounds like the clutch fibers are sticking or loaded with oil. How long has the bike sat on the side stand?
murph

Postby ClintsMotorcycles » Fri Jan 15, 2021 8:49 pm

The K model bikes have a dry clutch. There was an issue with the K models where the clutch would get contaminated with oil because of problems with the various seals. It depended upon how the oil check valve is sitting and how all the oil holes and the shafts were lining up. When the bike is on the jiffy stand, it is leaning towards the clutch side and gravity is going to cause oil to drain on the clutch if everything is not sealed. I would think, that a tiny speck of crud could also cause a seal to leak.

What you are probably going to have to do is drain the primary, remove the cover, take the clutch apart (remembering how everything was put together), clean off all the clutch plates, replace any seals that are suspect and put it all back together and then hope it does not happen again.

When you are all done fixing it, check your tranny and engine oil. one or both are probably low.
ClintsMotorcycles

Postby nicf » Fri Jan 15, 2021 9:30 pm

The bike just came back from my mechanic and he said he had ridden it up and down the street and it worked fine. It’s cold where am I, like below freezing. Would that cause it to lock up possibly?
nicf

Return to General K / Sportster Discussions