Speedometer Assembly

All things K & Sportster

Speedometer Assembly

Postby xlh59 » Wed Jan 27, 2021 5:55 am

Dear All,

As the speedometer of my 59 XLH was dysfunktional, I decided to by a pile of speedometer parts and to try to assemble a functional speedo. Assembling a functional set was rather easy I used it for around 1000miles by now. As I live in germany, we need to have Kph marks on the speedo, finding an original kph speedo is rather impossible :D -- What I did is to plaec the kph marks on the inside of the glass, so that weather etc. can not mess with the marks. So far so good -- now my question:
When I assembled the speedo, there was no rubber seal between the glass and the outside bezel. In one bezel I found remains of a soft rubber seal. I mounted the speedo without an outside seal and after 500 miles my glass (with the marks on the inside) started to rotate slightly :oops:
Does anyone know, if there was a seal on the outside of the glass and if, what size/shape this would have?

Apart from that: As I simultanously worked on my 71 Corvette, I can tell you, that the internals of the 59 speedo are identical to the (widely available) early C3 speedos. Even the identical reset button (with wire) is used on the C3 -- sure, both came from AC.

Cheers,
Ralf
xlh59

Return to General K / Sportster Discussions