Internal motor Parts interchange

All things K & Sportster

Internal motor Parts interchange

Postby sgtoepfer » Mon Feb 01, 2021 8:07 pm

Hey team,

I have a 52 basket motor with a ton of spares, most everything is there that I can tell. As I debate the machine work needed to get this thing together, I’m curious about the small parts like bushings in the case and the bearings and such. Are these small internal (yet integral) parts of the motor available? Or are they interchangeable with the early XLs? Anything I should avoid or keep an eye out for? I do remember my first 1953 had issues with the kicker gear engagement because the kicker gear was thicker than it was supposed to be.

Any help would be very cool. Thanks everyone.
sgtoepfer

Re: Internal motor Parts interchange

Postby panic » Tue Feb 02, 2021 10:14 am

The Sportster part numbers will start you off.
[url="http://victorylibrary.com/L-BK.htm"]The Linkert Book[/url]
panic

Postby wz507 » Tue Feb 02, 2021 10:24 am

Regarding your kicker parts query, it's all layed out clearly here in the technical section of this site.

http://www.harleykmodel.com/technical/s ... index.html
wz507

Postby sgtoepfer » Tue Feb 02, 2021 11:21 am

So perhaps I didn't make my question totally clear.

I'm about to embark on my first set of 52/53 cases. I've worked on many K's now, but haven't assembled a bottom end from scratch. My question is:

What parts are obsolete and nearly impossible to find? I know some parts will interchange with ironheads, and later KH/KHK, but what will I encounter that DOESN'T interchange, and will severely inhibit my project.

I have the parts books, the riders manual, all of the shop bulletins, and have used this site for years. What I'm asking is for personal experience in the hardest parts to find to assemble the bottom end properly.

The kicker gear thing was an example, that was solved years ago using this site.
sgtoepfer

Postby Mark.A » Fri Feb 05, 2021 9:12 pm

Someone else may have a solution for this or maybe you have the right parts. I had a hard time finding a sprocket shaft oil seal for my 52. This is a three piece seal and only used on 52-53
Mark.A

Return to General K / Sportster Discussions