Carburetors, Linkerts used on all K Models

All things K & Sportster

Re: Carburetors, Linkerts used on all K Models

Postby Mayday53 » Tue Apr 20, 2021 6:55 pm

Cave's OSC wrote:Mayday53.
The stock Linkert float. Original cork. However no matter what any of the float's type's or materials. Be sure that they are not compromised and in good shape. See H-D shop manuals for float adjustment. It's 3/16" from edge of bowl to top of float.
The high speed needle and low speed needles of the K model M53 are unique to K model Linkert's and need to be correct (some have misguidedly install incorrect needles and have over tighten the low speed). The high speed is steel, and the low is brass. The needle's point needs to be undamaged, if they are damaged, they will need to be replaced. If minor (very minute groves can be fine sandpapered smooth. 600 to 800 grit). Both are adjustable and can be 'adjusted' to suit your engine.
Bore, stroke, cam, valves all need to be taken into consideration and effect the carburetor's jets, venturi, and nozzles If your engine is relatively within stock limits all your Linkert's parts will work. HOWEVER, the carb needs to be overhauled correctly. Most parts and the body itself can be repaired, with the exception of the idle port. If this is damaged or corroded to the point of damage, the body in my opinion is not useable.
THEN, the carb installed CANNOT have any air leaks! This can be pressure tested, and/or if you know what you are doing, you can get the engine running and using a spray can of fluid (your experience choice) spray the manifold nuts, manifold to carb joint, to see if there are any 'leaks'. No matter if your carb is good, you can't tune a engines that has air leaks at the carb and it certainly will never run correctly.

Just noticed this...thanks for sharing the information Cave's OSC. We were going to tune it a couple weeks ago, then found a couple other issues to resolve first...like a loose swingarm and we are using a bump starter on bench...I am learning if it is not one thing, it is 7 others. Ha!
"Mayday"

"Respect is given, disrespect is earned"
Mayday53

Postby Cave's OSC » Tue Apr 20, 2021 8:39 pm

To Mayday53. I have an associate that has a M53 and it has never been touched, and it looks like it. It has a bombsight venturi. My M53A required an overhaul, and when I removed the venturi it was very tight, and I soaked it with Koil for a few days and then removed it with a venturi removal tool, so I would consider it stock, and it also has a bombsight venturi. FYI
Cave's OSC

Postby Cave's OSC » Tue Apr 20, 2021 8:48 pm

There is one internal air leak that I didn't mention. The brass Linkert has a vertical throttle disc shaft and two bushings. Be sure that they are tight and not worn. It is a simple procedure to remove the old worn bushings and replace them with new bushings. sometimes they require honing which might require a little experience and care. And the shaft itself could be worn and/or the bushings could fine, and just the shaft needs replacing. Over the years, a leaking throttle shaft, or what I term a 'internal' air leak has caused many to toss a carb and replace it with a newer one.
Cave's OSC

Postby Rubone » Wed Apr 21, 2021 4:41 pm

Mayday53 wrote:My 55 KHK has an M53 with bombsite for a carb...I keep reading bout how it was always an M53 A1 but the guy I bought bike from was original owner and claims the carb was never changed out...perplexing I guess. It seems to run ok but we are still fine tuning it later this week, again.

Anywho...is it possible Harley put a M53 in some of the early KHKs? Anyone actually know that or would we be guessing?

I believe it would be guessing. My 55KHK is #243 and has an M53A1 from new.
Rubone

Postby Mayday53 » Wed Apr 21, 2021 8:36 pm

How do you determine it is # 243? Off serial number I would guess, but is there a list somewhere showing what SNs are KHK? I talked to HD historian and he said only 429 were made in 55...fact? Fiction? I truly dont know...
"Mayday"

"Respect is given, disrespect is earned"
Mayday53

Postby Rubone » Thu Apr 22, 2021 12:45 am

Mayday53 wrote:How do you determine it is # 243? Off serial number I would guess, but is there a list somewhere showing what SNs are KHK? I talked to HD historian and he said only 429 were made in 55...fact? Fiction? I truly dont know...

H-Ds poor production figures do show only 449 KHK and 616 KH. The serial numbers are intermingled and are consecutive so there is no way to tell which numbers were which model. And all '55 K series used the same carb, KHK was no different than KH. Serial numbers started at 1000 so it is easy to tell where it fell in the production sequence.
In '55 the KHK was still a special order option, by '56 it was a cataloged model.

Image[[URL=https://imageshack.com/i/poOrLJssj]Image/URL]
Rubone

Previous

Return to General K / Sportster Discussions