Carburetors, Linkerts used on all K Models

All things K & Sportster

Re: Carburetors, Linkerts used on all K Models

Postby ChillyWilly » Thu Apr 15, 2021 11:20 am

To CAVES 0SC
Thanks for the offer of data regarding M53 and Bombsight venturis. Whenever you can provide, it will be most welcome.
To bring a bit of the past back to life seems a good thing...
ChillyWilly

Postby panic » Thu Apr 15, 2021 2:01 pm

Never mind
Last edited by panic on Fri Apr 16, 2021 6:25 pm, edited 2 times in total.
[url="http://victorylibrary.com/L-BK.htm"]The Linkert Book[/url]
panic

Postby wz507 » Thu Apr 15, 2021 10:21 pm

panic wrote:The longer bombsight venturi itself will not fully enter any other 4 bolt carburetor body (although the M-53A uses the same 1-9/16" single venturi as many OHV big twins), and the aftermarket "conversions" do not fully replicate the MR/53 booster function.

1-5/16" venturi ?
wz507

Postby Ferrous_Head » Thu Apr 15, 2021 10:45 pm

I had felt that the fact that my main nozzle tip only reached the bottom of the small venturi was the reason for my bombsight failure

Air flowing through a tube like a carb flows fastest at the edges. Placing the jet into the middle of the air stream would not only induce turbulence at that point but reduce the pressure signal for the jet.

Of course, this is just my opinion.
"I know only too well the evil that I propose, but my inclinations get the better of me."
Ferrous_Head

Postby Mike » Thu Apr 15, 2021 10:48 pm

Can somebody tell me if this is the correct carb for a 56 KHK? Thanks!
Attachments
IMG_6716.jpg
IMG_6716.jpg (21.35 KiB) Viewed 8176 times
Mike

Postby wz507 » Thu Apr 15, 2021 11:30 pm

Mike wrote:Can somebody tell me if this is the correct carb for a 56 KHK? Thanks!

The carb for your 56 KHK is an M53A1 as shown on the 1st page of this topic - see JerryR post, final set of images labeled M53A1.jpg

Look at the number block on top of your carb near the choke end, not the script you show on the side of the carb in your image above.
wz507

Postby Mike » Fri Apr 16, 2021 8:18 am

Thank you!
Mike

Postby Cave's OSC » Fri Apr 16, 2021 9:27 pm

OK, let's have a little physics lesson. A venturi is a round ring. If it was flat and you took a side view it would look just like a side view of an airplane's wing. It's the Bernoullli's principle that works with fluids, and air. Anytime time you increase the speed of the air, the pressure is reduced. Thus by the pistons moving up and down, sucking in air through the carburetor the speed of the air coming in is further increased because it flows over the 'wing' of the venturi. The lower pressure sucks the gasoline up through the carb's jet and up the nozzle into the air stream of the air going into the cylinders, now a mixture of air and gas and the rough interior of the manifold and cylinder casting causes the turbulence the air and gas mixing it further, and if the jet(s), nozzle, venturi, and volume of air, (bore, stroke, valves, can get a 7 to 1 mixture, and the back flow of the pipes and muffler cause the proper amount of burned fuel molecules to stay in the cylinder to mix with the incoming air and gas enabling the volumetric efficiency to be at it's power ratio for it's best out put of horsepower, well then you have a well running engine.

It is important to put the correct venture, jets, and nozzle combination for this to work. The length the the correct nozzle for the venturi, or bombsight venturi is important! The belief that the center of the carburetors airflow is somehow less or the the pressure is higher in the center is in the realm of wing tunnel engineer's with bachelor's in calculus. Let the fireworks begin.
Cave's OSC

Postby prostreetholland » Tue Apr 20, 2021 8:36 am

On my website http://www.prostreetholland.com (button special parts for sale) you can find some Linkert M53 an M53A1 carbs with pictures. In Holland we use these carbs on WL models for make them faster, in combination with special camshafts, bigger WLD intake ports and bigger intake manifold.
Have fun!
prostreetholland

Postby Mayday53 » Tue Apr 20, 2021 6:50 pm

My 55 KHK has an M53 with bombsite for a carb...I keep reading bout how it was always an M53 A1 but the guy I bought bike from was original owner and claims the carb was never changed out...perplexing I guess. It seems to run ok but we are still fine tuning it later this week, again.

Anywho...is it possible Harley put a M53 in some of the early KHKs? Anyone actually know that or would we be guessing?
"Mayday"

"Respect is given, disrespect is earned"
Mayday53

PreviousNext

Return to General K / Sportster Discussions