KH Fork Boot Retention

All things K & Sportster

KH Fork Boot Retention

Postby JohnF » Sat Sep 04, 2021 12:29 pm

Hello All, I acquired a mostly basket case 1954 KH partially disassembled. Fork assembly was completely disassembled. Have everything now ready for assemble except, I cannot figure out how to retain the upper fork boots to the upper fork boot retention system! I Have the parts needed to update the system with the latest (57’) breather tubes, etc. I must have the brain of a box of rocks, however I just don’t understand how to keep the boots inside the retainer system. Parts book, or early Sportster Service manual is no real help. What am I missing ( besides a brain, LOL ). Yes, I do have considerable mechanical experience. Thanks and appreciate any support
JohnF

Re: KH Fork Boot Retention

Postby starcain » Sat Sep 04, 2021 6:47 pm

John, The top of the fork boot simply slips over the 46007-54 boot retainer, nothing else. The picture is a bit out of focus but I think you can get the idea. If you are using after market boots or old Harley boots be prepared for a bit of a struggle. You have to stretch the rubber quite a bit to get it over the retainer. I tried it once with original Harley boots but the rubber was kind of hard. Ripped the boot trying.

Stan
Attachments
Fork Boot.JPG
Fork Boot.JPG (122.31 KiB) Viewed 6025 times
starcain

Postby Tim The Grim » Sun Sep 05, 2021 1:50 am

They like to be warm and supple. You could soak them in hot water or maybe carefully use a heat gun.
54KHK (Current Build),2013 XL1200V “72” Hard Candy, 97 Honda Valkyrie
Tim The Grim

Postby JohnF » Sun Sep 05, 2021 8:15 am

Thanks guys. Tried doing that and ripped one. I’ll add some warmth this time, it’s quite a stretch.
JohnF

Postby starcain » Sun Sep 05, 2021 9:09 am

I tried soaking them in hot water but by the time you get them out of the water and in position they cooled to the point where it didn't help. If I were to do it again I would try a hair dryer or heat gun and have someone help you. Two hands weren't quit enough to get the job done. An extra hand or two would have been helpful.
starcain

Postby wz507 » Sun Sep 05, 2021 9:32 am

I agree with Starcain - extra hands, a very dull “custom shaped” hose hook used judiciously and a concentrated soap solution for lubrication can all be very helpful. I know people do it solo, but the significance of extra hands can’t be overstated.

If you are assembly the fork from scratch, I would absolutely opt to put the boots on a naked bottom triple tree mounted in a vice rather than fight with it on the bike after fork tubes are installed. In the vice you have unfettered full 360-degree access to the project while it is facing up and you can see exactly what you are doing.
wz507

Postby roadbum » Sun Sep 05, 2021 3:34 pm

I have purchased a couple of sets of rubbers that were too short. Any recommendation as to has the correct replacements? Thanks in advance. Tom.
roadbum

Postby hennesse » Sun Sep 05, 2021 4:44 pm

roadbum wrote:I have purchased a couple of sets of rubbers that were too short. Any recommendation as to has the correct replacements? Thanks in advance. Tom.

Your friendly local Harley dealer has them. Since the kids working at the dealer weren't born until the turn of the millennium, I always ask for stuff by part number. So hie ye over to the Spare Parts Catalogs in the Literature section, and look up the number. Yep, it's still a -52 part number.
hennesse
Site Admin

Return to General K / Sportster Discussions