All things K & Sportster

Re: Tank panels and emblems

Postby epinut » Sun Dec 05, 2021 5:52 am

In case you're still looking :
https://www.instagram.com/blubikes
epinut

Postby murph » Sun Dec 05, 2021 10:58 am

Most restored sportster paint schemes you would find flaws on measurements, even the most easier one you would think like the 59xlch. I'm in agreement that without an original paint bike it's tuff to get exact. I have the measurements for the 59 xlch and the 62 xlch if anyone needs them, or I should say pictures of measurments I took. Maybe a good catagory to start in the technical section.
murph

Postby wz507 » Sun Dec 05, 2021 7:58 pm

xlh59 wrote:Hi to all,

As my 59 XLH will get a new paint job this winter, I need to adress different aspects of tank panels and emblems -- I thought it might be very helpful to have a post that deals with the different tank panel designs and emblems, as I feel that a lot of important information is not accesible currently.

Apart from the fact, that I hope to find a correct 59 side panel design, I have a question regarding the 59/60 tank batches.

I have two pairs of tank batches: one new set (part number ending with -59T) and one used, eventually original 59 batch. Although both batches look identical from far, they have significant differences where I seek for the "truth" :D

As you can see, the new batch has red letters whilst the old batch has black letters. Additionally, the "old" batches have (both) a strange inner surface. I looks like they have been welded or brazed, but as they are also chromed I wonder if this is original? Or did someone intended to strengthen the emblems?

Cheers,
Ralf

Regarding your tank emblems, you might want to have a peek at the thread below, where I posed a similar question to yours, regarding authenticity of several tank emblems for a ’56 KHK. I showed 3 different tank emblem versions – 1) a light, thin, stiff version, 2) a heavy thick semi-flexible version and 3) a new HD light, thin, stiff version. The responses received in that thread suggested that the heavy, thick, semi-flexible version was likely the authentic emblem, and that the older thin version may possibly have been a slightly later original or possibly be an early reproduction. You’ll have to read it and draw your own conclusions, but if the same line of reasoning holds true 3 years later, it certainly sounds possible that your thick, heavy, emblem is original.

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=464
wz507

Postby hi-peral » Mon Dec 06, 2021 1:13 am

59 Emblems.JPG
59 Emblems.JPG (87.07 KiB) Viewed 2817 times
Howdy original 59 FL emblem on left , Taiwanian copy on rite
hi-peral

Previous

Return to General K / Sportster Discussions