Oley Swap Meet

All things K & Sportster

Oley Swap Meet

Postby hennesse » Mon Apr 18, 2022 3:49 pm

The Oley Swap Meet (OSKRG East) is this Friday and Saturday - April 22-23. Stop by the Old Sportster & K-model Research Group vendor spot (also home to the Highlands Chapter and Harley Hummer Club). Stop by Thursday, Friday, Saturday am.

Where are we? We're at the "O" on Henderson Highway, space 30A - near the Volunteer Pavilion, and strategically placed opposite Dr. Dick and Mark (sorry, not our doing).

Weather forecast --> Thursday: mostly cloudy, high 62. Friday: Sunny, high 69 Saturday: mostly sunny, high 63.

Rumor has it that the Raino Brothers will trek across country to be at this meet. (Hey Jerrry, can you confirm?)
Attachments
oley-streets.jpg
Find the "O" on Henderson Highway
oley-streets.jpg (265.04 KiB) Viewed 2415 times
hennesse
Site Admin

Re: Oley Swap Meet

Postby JerrryR » Mon Apr 18, 2022 8:28 pm

Hi Dave, yes we'll be there. I think between the Levis and the road. Looking forward to seeing everyone.
JerrryR

Re: Oley Swap Meet - The Weekend Continues...

Postby hennesse » Sun Apr 24, 2022 6:24 pm

Saturday in Oley brought sprinkles in the morning, followed by overcast until noon, when I pulled out. Good old Sol was a merry old Soul, and beamed down upon me in increasing amounts the further I progressed in a Southerly direction.

Sunday in Warrenton, VA dawned sunny and warm, and continued to get more of both. The hydrargyrum* peaked at about 87 (*chemical symbol Hg, commonly called quicksilver or Mercury), so it was a perfect day for a motorcycle ride.

So I fired up my 52-year-old 1970 Sportster XLCH around 3pm, and headed off on some of my favorite country roads. After a pleasant five miles, a pickup truck approached, flashing his headlights, and when I drew near, gave me a "slow down" hand signal.

Well, it was unlikely that it was a policeman, or even another car, but I slowed down nonetheless.

'Twas a Jack and a Jenny, munching contentedly on the grass on the side of the road. When they heard the sound of the eXceLent XLCH approaching, they looked back at me, said "Uh-oh", and started trotting down the road, shifting into the left lane a little ahead of me. So I followed in the right lane, and they led the big parade, with 76 trombones right behind.

After a mile or so, they made an abrupt (no turn signal) left hand turn into a gravel driveway, and 883 cubic centimeters followed. We went up a long driveway to a house, where I stopped and blew my horn. Of course, no one was at home.

Jenny turned around and gave Jack a piece of her mind with a flying kick of both rear hooves. My vocabulary is limited, but I think she said "You Jack-ass, you said we could sneak out for a quick adventure, and no one would notice we were gone". They ran behind the house and back into a field, and I decided that my job was done.

So I turned the Sportster roadward, and put many a pleasant mile behind me before I got home and fed the chickens.

I hope you had an equally adventurous weekend.

Dave
hennesse
Site Admin

Return to General K / Sportster Discussions