Australia and New Zealand

All things K & Sportster

Re: Australia and New Zealand

Postby hennesse » Tue Jan 03, 2023 11:02 am

hayleyl wrote: plenty of cold beer and good food and even somewhere to wash your onions for free.

I was intrigued by your comment about "Wash your onions for free". While every country has problems with pests and diseases coming across the border, it looks like Australia has a particular problem with onions ???

The US got invaded with Brown Marmorated Stink Bugs 20 years ago, and we can't get rid of them. They're a big pest for farmers, and almost as bad for homeowners, as the little buggers can find their way into just about any imaginable tiny space to overwinter. Be glad you don't have them. I promise I'll check all my pockets before I get on the plane.
hennesse
Site Admin

Postby murph » Tue Jan 03, 2023 4:41 pm

See that, I thought he was talking about taking a shower for free....My bads
murph

Postby Ferrous_Head » Tue Jan 03, 2023 5:21 pm

I gave upmy American citizenship when I was 26. Being born in Australia to an American I had dual nationality. But they changed the rules on me and force me to go back to live in the States for 2 years.

I couldn't hack it. Because of my work (I was a mainframe computer operator back in '76) I had to live in a major city. I ooked at San Fran, Seattle and eventually went down to New Orleans (my parents were temporarily based there). But several incidents made me understand this was not a place to live. The KKK were blowing up churches at that time.

I realized I could go back home and leave that mess behind. At the time I thought "At the least I can have 10 more good years in Sydney and then if things turn "American" I can move north to Queensland.

Australia does have it's problems. It's not Utopia. But the leadership of a country is paramount. And we are seeing changes here. The two party system has become a major problem in the USA. We now have a 3 party system. Roughly a third of the population votes Liberal (think Republicans Rich, religious right) and a third vote Labor (think Democrat originally based in trade union movement) and a third now vote for Independents. Our current Government is Labor but has to curry favor with Independents to get anything done. This will have a moderating effect on our Government. So I have hope for our future.

There is a major culture divide between Australia and the US. And it has to do with how people view winners and losers. Winners in the US seem to be considered more deserving, to be admired above all else. Losers ignored. And people do not seem to care about how they became winners.
A lot of Australians still see winners as tall poppies. Not all of them of course but it matters how you got there. The richest person in Australia is Gina Reinhardt. Inherited mining wealth. She is basically hated by everyone (including her own kids) in Australia. She tries to keep a very low profile. She tried to sponsor a Women's Netball team. Lasted about two weeks as players, fans and the general public made their feelings known.

Australia does have a different culture. We had two cops shot and killed here recently. By far right nut cases. An outpouring of grief for their family and friends. From the entire nation. The perpetrators were shot and killed shortly after by the Police. Australia applauded in unison.

We have miles and miles of beaches with beautiful white sand and no other footprints but yours. We have a mountain chain that pretty much runs the entire Eastern Seaboard. Beyond that huge farms measured in square miles not acres. In parts of Queensland open cut mines that rival parts of the grand canyon. You can travel all over Australia without any real fear of straying into "the BAD part of town". No ones going to rob you or shoot you. If your polite to the locals they will drink beer with you and ask you what you think about Australia.

Oh. Australia is a big bike country. We've bought a LOT of them over the years. No snow, warm weather, some pretty good roads. And I would really recommend getting to the Southern Classic if you can.
"I know only too well the evil that I propose, but my inclinations get the better of me."
Ferrous_Head

Postby Ferrous_Head » Tue Jan 03, 2023 5:29 pm

murph wrote:See that, I thought he was talking about taking a shower for free....My bads

I think he was Murph.

Australian rhyming slang. Obions = bunions. Found on your feet. (Although I could be wrong)

Rubbity. = Rubbity Dub Dub - pub. A bar, beer joint.

Titfer = Tit for tat = Hat.

(You have to understand we drink a lot of beer.)
"I know only too well the evil that I propose, but my inclinations get the better of me."
Ferrous_Head

Postby jOe » Thu Jan 26, 2023 6:15 pm

Skip Kalgoorlie. Much the same as Elko, Nevada.
jOe

Previous

Return to General K / Sportster Discussions