53KR in a Low Boy Frame

Racing K Models

Re: 53KR in a Low Boy Frame

Postby hugoct » Mon Oct 26, 2020 10:21 pm

Post some pictures.
hugoct

Postby hayleyl » Mon Oct 26, 2020 10:40 pm

Having a closer look, the picture in this thread looks more like a 'Cutless' (technical term pointier) - the 'Bates' seat has a higher & shorter rear cowl and is more like a quadrant in profile - more similar to European fibreglass racing seat pans of that era. Couldn't tell you if it's a 'TT' seat or not. I can tell you though they're designed to stop your butt scaping on the rear tyre at 100mph. Cheers Hayley
hayleyl

Postby Ferrous_Head » Mon Oct 26, 2020 11:13 pm

Dunno if you can tell from this. Seat isn't mounted - just sitting on the frame rails.

"I know only too well the evil that I propose, but my inclinations get the better of me."
Ferrous_Head

Postby Ferrous_Head » Mon Oct 26, 2020 11:16 pm

Maybe I need the "Big Butt" seat ?

I'm planning on going well over 100 MPH.
"I know only too well the evil that I propose, but my inclinations get the better of me."
Ferrous_Head

Postby 44UL » Tue Oct 27, 2020 12:12 am

Glad you bought that so I didn’t! I was this close but really didn’t need another KR project...or did i?
62 KR, 54 KHRM, ‘61 XLR, ‘68 XLR, original paint ‘59 CH, several 60 and 61 CH’s, two original ‘47 Servicars, 44 UL, 48 UL, 48 WL race bike(40 rwhp) 51 WR, original 68 XLCH, 65 Topper, Japanese Rikuo. Always interested in buying KR, KHRM, and XLR parts
44UL

Postby DaveAus » Tue Oct 27, 2020 12:39 am

44UL wrote:Glad you bought that so I didn’t! I was this close but really didn’t need another KR project...or did i?

Someone had to love them :D
DaveAus

Postby hayleyl » Tue Oct 27, 2020 12:49 am

Ferrous - that is definitely a 'Cutlass' glass tail. I have a 68-69 KRTT tail and glass tank (Cal Rayborn Design) if you're interested for that project. Cheers Hayley.
hayleyl

Postby hugoct » Tue Oct 27, 2020 9:53 am

In the days of the KR the AMA required that motorcycles run the as cataloged equipment or approved manufacturer optional brakes, forks, gas tank, and frame.
The Harley KR could run the KR steel tanks or the Lipp Plastics fiberglass tanks. (the Manx look alike tank would not make it through tech nor would the conical rear wheel).
There were unique loaf of bread KRTT tanks for 1966 and 1967 with a unique seat.
The 1968 and 1969 Lowboys ran special baffled Wixom brothers tanks which if original do not fit on a standard KR or Hiboy KR frame.
The Lipp seat that is on the KRTT bike is a Lipp Plastics S-3 with 5 snaps as used on flattrackers.
The Lipp Plastics S-2 seat is shorter having only 4 snaps and would have been appropriate with the Lipp fiberglass tank. (you could shorten your existing seat base and cover)
The S-3 seat is too long unless you are running one of the smaller dirttrack gas tanks.
hugoct

Postby Ferrous_Head » Tue Oct 27, 2020 10:38 am

(the Manx look alike tank would not make it through tech nor would the conical rear wheel).

Yeah, I know. The classes we run over here are very different to what you guys can do. We can build 1365 cc meth burners.

Mind you, the rear brake is nothing more than a Manx Norton item. Well, replica. We can Mix'N'Match parts from any manufacturer here. As long as they were available in the period, they're legal. We can run long strokes, short strokes, or even 6 speed gearboxes as long as you can't see them. Electronic ignition ? No problem as long as it fits inside the stock covers.
Ferrous_Head

Postby hugoct » Tue Oct 27, 2020 11:41 am

My comment was not in regard to what can be done today but in regard to what was possible during the period when KRs were raced in the AMA professional series in he US.
If some one is trying to built a reasonably authentic period replica knowing what was possible during that period might prevent them from making some very expensive errors.
No doubt it is a nice looking bike it just doesn't look like a proper KRTT or Sportster XLRTT.
The biggest benefit would come from a KRTT highboy frame and swingarm or an XRTT frame and swingarm.
hugoct

PreviousNext

Return to KR, KRM, KRTT, KHR, KHRM, KHRTT