SUGGESTION: Add XLR (at least) to this Topic Heading

Racing K Models

Re: SUGGESTION: Add XLR (at least) to this Topic Heading

Postby No side stand » Mon Nov 30, 2020 6:50 pm

Hi. Im trying to straighten up a the front wheel of my 68 xlr. The rim has the usual knocks and dings, but I think it will pull into line with some patient spoke tuning. I am hoping that someone can give a measurement for setting the WM3-19 rim to the mammoth brake drum. I have 3 different "Specification and Instruction" manuals but the info isn't listed in them.
No side stand

Postby No side stand » Tue Dec 01, 2020 12:33 am

Picture of front wheel.
68 xlr front wheel.jpg
68 xlr front wheel.jpg (466.58 KiB) Viewed 21517 times
No side stand

Postby hugoct » Tue Dec 01, 2020 5:01 pm

I would suggest installing the wheel, brake backing plate assembly with shoes, and axle assembly in the forks.
True the rim so it is centered between the forks. (clamps and pieces of welding rod)
True the rim straight and concentric on the hub while maintaining it centered in the forks. (magnetic base dial indicators)
The conical brake was rarely used on TT bikes because it was really heavy and effected un sprung weight as well as providing a gyroscopic effect that made tight turns difficult.
The conical brake was developed for Daytona and the KRTTs with frequent braking from high speeds not really needed or helpful on a TT track.
hugoct

Postby No side stand » Sat Feb 13, 2021 7:42 pm

Looking for an original Goodyear tyre. Grasshopper 19" x 3.25" or up to 4".
Needs to be in fair to reasonable condition. It will never be used in anger so age isn't an issue.
Fitment will be for my 68 xlr
No side stand

Postby 44UL » Mon Feb 15, 2021 10:35 pm

Great Thread! so far!
learning a lot already and happy to have most of the aluminum parts they offered except a rear fender and oil tank mounts i think. Interesting they lengthened the pipes and then shortened them again.

I like the big brakes in natural aluminum too! might have to pull mine apart and blast em. Patrick, that Hifi bike is awesome!

That's all, just excited
62 KR, 54 KHRM, ‘61 XLR, ‘68 XLR, original paint ‘59 CH, several 60 and 61 CH’s, two original ‘47 Servicars, 44 UL, 48 UL, 48 WL race bike(40 rwhp) 51 WR, original 68 XLCH, 65 Topper, Japanese Rikuo. Always interested in buying KR, KHRM, and XLR parts
44UL

Postby No side stand » Sun Sep 05, 2021 11:32 pm

Hi.
Would 1960 KR tt and XLR tt have been supplied with a steel rear fender and steel fender braces?
No side stand

Postby hugoct » Mon Sep 06, 2021 11:05 am

It would depend on the particular motorcycle's completion date.
It would appear that the first half of 1960 model year production did not get the 60R parts while the second half did.
Copies of the blue prints with introduction dates or the bill of materials for the 1960 bikes would be the only way to say for sure.
No Date Race Department Notice to Dealers lists -59R parts cylinders, heads, valves and -58R exhaust "A" cams that were not available until after Jan 1, 1959 so last half of the 59 production. No mention of alloy fender or supports. Also lists numerous 58R and 59R aluminum parts, rear motor mount, front motor plates, front motor plate spacer, KR cylinder brace spacer, KR upper valve collar spacer, KR valve collar, KR valve spring upper collar, KR key for valve collar, that are not part of the bike as delivered and only available as a part order.
July 59 1952-59 Spare Parts for Competition Models, 99451-59R, no mention of the alloy fender or supports
November 9 1960 Race Department Supplement to the Parts Catalog, lists the aluminum fender -60R and fender supports -60R.
March 1,1961 Supplement to Spare Parts Catalog for Competition Models, 99451-61R, lists the aluminum fender -60R and fender supports -60R
Last edited by hugoct on Fri Sep 10, 2021 6:34 pm, edited 2 times in total.
hugoct

Postby wb56 » Mon Sep 06, 2021 11:34 am

You mentioned you might remove your conical brake and blast it. Maybe others might chime in but personally blasting alum never looks natural. If it's painted remove it by hand with a paint remover and don't blast it. That is, unless there's some new technique there using that leaves that natural look. Just sayin.
wb56

Postby Rubone » Mon Sep 06, 2021 2:24 pm

wb56 wrote:You mentioned you might remove your conical brake and blast it. Maybe others might chime in but personally blasting alum never looks natural. If it's painted remove it by hand with a paint remover and don't blast it. That is, unless there's some new technique there using that leaves that natural look. Just sayin.

Depends on the blast medium, sandblasting or other abrasive media change the look and texture, but soda blasting, walnut shells, etc, can just restore the as cast look.
Last edited by Rubone on Mon Sep 06, 2021 5:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rubone

Postby No side stand » Mon Sep 06, 2021 3:27 pm

Thanks for your post hugoct. I appreciate you taking the time to try and isolate the introduction of a part to a specific time period by cross referencing your literature and then trying to formulate an answer.
I had to read a paragraph a couple of times, but can’t get a grip on it. Can you clear up if you have made a typo on the “November 1961” date, or you are making reference to a supplement which was released 12 months after the catalog was first released. See below:

(The November 1961 Supplement to the Parts Catalog, dated November 1960 lists the aluminium fender 60R and fender supports 60R)
No side stand

PreviousNext

Return to KR, KRM, KRTT, KHR, KHRM, KHRTT