Early front wheel

Classic short-frame models

Early front wheel

Postby Otis » Wed Jan 19, 2022 6:45 pm

I have an early sportster/K model front wheel. All appears normal on it and it spins free. When the axle is tightened significant drag is put on the bearings. I haven’t taken it apart yet because the retainer looks like it was stake locked with a jack hammer and it doesn’t want to come apart without destroying it. Any help or ideas on getting it opened or what’s causing drag?
Otis

Re: Early front wheel

Postby Rubone » Wed Jan 19, 2022 8:05 pm

Center bearing spacer likely wrong or missing.
Rubone

Postby Otis » Thu Jan 20, 2022 7:40 am

Spacer is in there but I noticed in parts book there is a washer on 1 side. I can’t verify if it’s there with hub assembled.
Otis

Postby EKHKHK56 » Thu Jan 20, 2022 9:51 am

If bearings seem ok, no rust and turn without binding you might try few drops of oil on bearings even if you need to lift seal some, and a bit of bearing grease added if needed. Than assemble together. Before tightening axle loosen Brake Plate retaining bolt. Spin wheel and apply brake fully. Hold brake to center plate and tighten plate bolt. Release brake and tighten axle with wheel turning. If it binds still, note at what point. If just as axle tightens it still binds I would suspect whoever butchered the lock collar may have lost the washer spacer.
EKHKHK56

Postby Otis » Thu Jan 20, 2022 1:29 pm

I centered brake but it’s the bearings as it was binding with cable unhooked. Also the bearing open ends are incorrectly facing out so I forced grease into them. I’ll pay have to get it opened someway. Thanks
Otis

Return to 1957 to 1969