1966 XLH Frame Question

Classic short-frame models

Re: 1966 XLH Frame Question

Postby Otis » Fri Jan 26, 2024 7:31 am

It wasn’t sleeved but neither is the one on my 66 XLCH. It was drilled crooked and did not line up with the tank mount well leading me to believe it wasn’t factory. I filled it before sending frame out for paint. Either way it should be completely hidden.
Otis

Postby Ferrous_Head » Fri Jan 26, 2024 5:28 pm

Anything is possible (despite what some purists might insist)

It's true that you used to be sable to order a bike from your dealer and select options you wanted. Right down to custom paint jobs. You filled in an order form at the dealer who then ordered the bike and it was then built at the factory.

But I Imagine frames were built well in advance. The build process probably started with things like frames already having been made.

HD had "build" sheets for each bike. Up until a few years back they still had those build sheets in their archibes. I was able to verify the build date of my bike and options on it. (Built November 11 1961). The only way you could ever prove the bike left the factory with a peanut tank would be by looking at that build sheet.
"I know only too well the evil that I propose, but my inclinations get the better of me."
Ferrous_Head

Postby JerrryR » Sat Jan 27, 2024 1:27 am

Hi All,
Here is what I think I know, not necessarily what is correct. Since the big tanks mounted to bosses on the seat casting and neck casting, all XLCHs would accommodate the big or small tank. For the XLCH frame a sleeved hole was installed up front of the seat casting and another hole drilled through the neck casting webbing below the backbone. For an XLH they simply didn't put in the extra holes for the small tank. I contend this was their practice through 66. I believe from 67 on with the new electric start XLH frame holes were factory installed on the XLHs as well to accommodate the small tank. Frames were sold either as an XLCH or XLH frame until 72 when HD went to a common frame with a bolt on upper oil tank bracket for the XLCHs. Doug as far as your 66 XLCH frame I believe it started its life as an XLH frame with somebody doing a bad job of drilling a rear hole for the small tank. Most the H and CH frames I run into have multiple extra holes drilled in the backbone and neck casting to accommodate different tanks over the years. Again, this is what I think, not necessarily what is true. Having said that I do have photos to back up my assertions.
JerryR
JerrryR

Postby Otis » Sat Jan 27, 2024 7:18 am

On second thought if memory serves the ch frame does have a sleeve. I’m pretty certain it’s the correct frame because the date code corresponds with the engine numbers.
Otis

Right Side K Model Engine Case

Postby roadbum » Mon Jan 29, 2024 4:33 pm

Well a 1962 XLH followed me home over the weekend. Dated B2. No hole or sleeve in the spine and no hole in the web. Goes along with what Jerry said. Frame looks to be in nice shape and is available along with other 62 parts. Tom (roadbum)
roadbum

Previous

Return to 1957 to 1969