K model Center stand

Production K Models

Re: K model Center stand

Postby Ferrous_Head » Mon Mar 11, 2024 5:35 pm

You end up leaning the bike automatically. When you stand beside the bike and just try to lift it, the weight is too far away from you. It's like trying to pick your engine up off the floor with your arms outstretched. You need to pull the weight in closer to your body.

I've used some center stands on other bikes that were very very easy to use. But then, the designers worked them into thhe bike during it's initial design phase. The Harley item is clearly an afterthought.
"I know only too well the evil that I propose, but my inclinations get the better of me."
Ferrous_Head

Postby ptk46 » Mon Mar 11, 2024 7:12 pm

The center stands I’ve used were acquired in some long ago parts transactions.
I don't remember the details but I’m guessing the 1970’s early 80’s time frame.
I put them on bikes because I felt they’d be more useful on a vehicle vs. collecting dust in the parts stash.
While they do serve some purpose they’re just too difficult to use as described in previous posts.
Also IMHO these stands support the theory that HD never hired engineers, they hired blacksmiths.
What’s also interesting they had a similar cast alloy center stand for big twins.
I’m not sure what years they fit, but they look like a bigger version of K model/XL stand.
I’ve never seen on one a bike but I’m betting that using one of these on a 74-80 CI bagger would take nothing less than an act of God.
ptk46

Postby ford_fan70 » Fri Mar 15, 2024 7:56 pm

Well the center stand is all on , I see what you guys are talking about, not much thought put into that design and function of it ,but still happy to have it ,tried to post a pic but i have a hard time with this site.
ford_fan70

Previous

Return to K, KK, KH, KHK