K model Center stand

Production K Models

K model Center stand

Postby ford_fan70 » Sat Mar 09, 2024 1:40 pm

Hello,Wanted to see if anyone has a center stand on there bike or a picture of one on a K model thanks
ford_fan70

Re: K model Center stand

Postby hennesse » Sat Mar 09, 2024 4:11 pm

You bring up quite an involved question.

The center stand first appeared in 1967. Look in the 1967 Spare Parts Catalog over in the Literature section. It shows a number of parts needed for a complete assembly. There are a number of center stands currently on eBay, but some of them do not include all the parts. Some are V-Twin reproductions.

Capture.JPG
1967 Spare Parts Catalog, page 52
Capture.JPG (23.75 KiB) Viewed 37929 times

The 1967 SPC has what may be errors in the parts listing.

Capture1.JPG
1967 Spare Parts Catalog, page 53
Capture1.JPG (24.99 KiB) Viewed 37929 times

The part numbers all have the -57 suffix. I don't think they were available before 1967, so the -57 suffix is an error, it should be -67, as the suffix usually indicates the first year of production. Possible it was designed in 57 but not sold, or maybe was use on racing models. Hard to tell with old Harleys. But this number was carried forward into later Spare Parts Catalogs, at least until 1976, maybe later.

The "Used On" column shows that it fits 1957 and later. Is this true - will it really fit all years of Sportster? And more importantly to you, will it also fit all the K and KHs? I don't know the answers to these questions. Anybody got a center stand on their K or KH?

The distance from the bottom of the frame to the road is a big concern. The early K and KH had 19" tires, while later ones had 18" tires. Early Sportsters had 18" tires, but later ones had 19" front tires and 18" rear. Later Sportsters had "High Ground Clearance" options. The K/KH had many changes in steering geometry, fork tube length, and frame height. If the bottom of the frame is too high, the stand might not touch the ground, or be unstable. Too low would just mean a little extra oomph to raise the bike.

You don't see these on bikes very often. I'm not sure why. Center-stand owners - let us know how they work!
Dave
hennesse
Site Admin

Postby Ferrous_Head » Sat Mar 09, 2024 5:29 pm

I am currently using one on my Period 3 Solo Race bike build. It's only being used as part of my "working platform". You wouldn't want to race with one on there.

This is a 67 frame but I suspect they will fit all frames. I have 18" wheels front and back and there's about 4 inches of ground clearance under the rear wheel.

But they are horrible to use, You need arms like Popeye The Sailerman to get the bike up on the stand. The balance is all wrong. And you need very level ground - they are too narrow and would probably roll off if you parked with the bike facing downhill.

http://www.xlch.com.au/images/Cebtre%20Stand%201.JPG

http://www.xlch.com.au/images/Centre%20Stand%202.JPG
"I know only too well the evil that I propose, but my inclinations get the better of me."
Ferrous_Head

Postby Ferrous_Head » Sat Mar 09, 2024 5:31 pm

Sorry, couldn't remember how to post pictures "in line" - hence the links.
"I know only too well the evil that I propose, but my inclinations get the better of me."
Ferrous_Head

Postby ptk46 » Sat Mar 09, 2024 6:00 pm

I’ve used the center stand on a stock 57 and a stock 73.
I tried to use one on a stock 60 XLH but, as I recall, there was a clearance issue
with the rear crash bars.
Installation was simple, maybe 10 minutes.
The center stand will fit all K models (I think).
Not totally familiar with very early K’s but if you have the symmetric left and right castings
at the bottom or the rear down tubes it will fit.
These castings have two holes drilled in each side.
The RH casting is usual used to hold the exhaust bracket but will also accommodate the center stand brackets.
The center stand will accommodate all Sportsters 1957 to at least 1976.
As you recall 75 and 76 Sportsters had that goofy LH shift, brake cable arrangement.
The center stand spring hooks up to the tube that was used for the brake crossover 57-74, then the shift crossover 75 & 76.
I don’t recall if 77-78 still had that tube.
The stand itself is nice but it’s not easy to utilize.
Unlike British bikes I can’t recall ever being able to get the bike on the stand with one foot on the tab and pulling
on the handlebars.
If I had a friend around I could make it happen
By myself I used to lift the bike with on foot on the jiffy stand, one hand on the handlebars,
and with the spare hand use a broom stick to push the stand open.
Then I’d lower the bike down and the center stand would take over.
Sound difficult be it’s really pretty easy.
Also knowing how to lift the bike in the jiffy stand is a lifesaver if you
get a flat on the road, but that’s another story.
The center stand is great for storage or maintenance .
It’s also good if you’re running a wet clutch on 57-70 models.
You can start the bike on the stand, put it in gear and it will give the wet clutch plates a chance
to unstick.
Bottom line, center stands are cool and useful ,
but they are a real pain to get the bike up on one.
Also the repops are pretty good and fit perfectly.
ptk46

Postby GaryM2 » Sat Mar 09, 2024 7:48 pm

I also tried a center stand on a 1957 Sportster. I had one on my 1972 Triumph that worked like a dream.

The 1957 center stand was really hard to use. Ended up trying with the full version (bike was way too high) and the cut down version, neither option was easy for 1 person to lift and make it work.

That said, I have a full version and a cut version if you are looking for one.
GaryM2

Postby Coolbreeze » Sun Mar 10, 2024 1:12 am

I agree fully with Ferrous_Head: The center stand I bought from Sportys was relatively easy to install, but was impossible to use. I did not throw it away, but I will never attempt to use it again.

In all fairness, however, I have not tried the technique described by ptk46.
'56 KHK
'60 XLCH
'48 Chief
'42 Indian 841
'64 BMW R69S
'84 Moto Guzzi V65Sp
Coolbreeze

Postby Ferrous_Head » Sun Mar 10, 2024 6:21 pm

Hi Mike,

For some reason I can't seem to reply to your PM. But I can say what I need to here anyway.

The man in question is Thomas La Fluer. and no I would never ever do business with him. He just basically stole hundreds of dollars worth of parts from me. I suppose with him being in the USA and me living in Australia he understood I wasn't going to ride over tho his house and teach him some manners.

I have done the required job myself. Over on "the other forum" I have a thread that describes what needs to be done. It includes pics of the job and the home made tools I used. It also has a drawing giving dimensions of the "top hat" you need to make so it's hard to go wrong. Any 1s4 year apprentice machinist can do the job. If your smart you'd make several top hats at the same time. Keep you and your mates supplied for many years to come. I wasn't smart enough to do that at that time or I would just send you a top hat. The oil seal used is the same one on the body of the pump.

I MIGHT have put a thread on here on this modification, really just can't remember now. I'm old, forgive me.
Ferrous_Head

Postby ford_fan70 » Sun Mar 10, 2024 9:42 pm

Thanks guys ,I will post a pic when it arrives ,
ford_fan70

Postby Model H » Mon Mar 11, 2024 3:55 pm

Disclaimer - this is my own experience with my own bike. If you try this its your decision. Don't bitch at me if you drop your bike.

I have one on my 65 XLCH, it took a little getting used to but I got it to go pretty easily. It's been a while but if I recall correctly I would lean the bike a little to the left while the left foot of the stand made contact with the macadam. Grabbing the shock and putting pressure on the center stand the bike came up on the one foot of the stand. I would then lean the bike over so both feet hit the ground. When it gets a little a little warner here maybe a video on the JOMC YT Channel.
Model H

Next

Return to K, KK, KH, KHK